Release date: 2018-11-21 Genre:Drama $6.99
1. Amber heard is absolutely gross. - I love aqua man but amber heard needs to get cut! The fact the director won’t cut amber heard out of aqua man two is sick, and honestly shows the type of person he is. I will be protesting aqua man . I will not spend my hard earned money on it unless she’s cut indefinitely!
2. Best Boxing Movie Since Rocky - This movie got it right. Sports at their best is more than just a game; wins and losses. They connect us to our potential and make us better. I think Rocky was so good because that element was the subtext of the story. Same here. It's about boxing. But really, it's about much, much more. A surprisingly good story and everything I've loved about Rocky since I first saw it almost years ago (!).
3. Excellent capstone to the Rocky franchise - The Adonis Creed storyline is an excellent one.
Taking Sylvester out of the spotlight as the fighter and bringing in a young and talented actor to play Apollo Creed’s son.
The first Creed laid the groundwork for a bit of a boxing renaissance for Rocky and toiling by Adonis to become the heavyweight champion of the world. The first Creed was packed with rich characters, that you came to care for and who drew you into their lives.
Creed rehashes the Clubber Lang Rocky storyline and adds the Ivan Drago storyline from Rocky . But it’s a brilliant story. Highly engaging. The characters are rich and complex.
With action scenes that that are involved, and thrilling.
It’s a brilliant piece of boxing storytelling.
4. A Very Well Done Sequel - Continuing the Creed legacy with characters maturing beyond their troubled pasts. The fight scenes are formulaic but this ending has an emotional impact absent from any of the films in the Creed/Balboa series. Stallone's character is still important but moves further into the background here. There are no "mortal enemies" in this film - the Dragos are shadows of what they could have been had Rocky IV ended differently. The Rocky Universe is left with enough material to create a compelling Drago film that plays to their fallabilities vs. whatever villainies may have existed.
5. Drago Fan - This movie was predictable... shoulda been laid out more carefully like the first one. It had me pulling for Drago halfway through because his story seemed more appealing than Creed’s. Great cinematography though! Worth the buy but I can’t wait for a Drago film. He is the better fight with a better story imo but Creed is still great!
6. Great movie! - Great watch. Some of the other reviews are low because this is a continuation of a story that’s already been told, which is true. But isn’t that what all sequels are?? This was a great continuation to the first Creed movie. Jordan and Stallone were great and hoping there will be a third.
7. Pretty good overall, more of a chick flick than a boxing movie - Rather well done movie, considering how many elements of the story were crammed into a hr. slot, which was not enough time for the whole story to be fully fleshed out, IMO. For example, due to a deleted scene, I didn't really get the idea of training in the desert until watching the extras. The family-related aspects of the story were adequately covered, but if you're looking for a gritty, funky boxing movie, this might not be it...your girlfriend will probably like it more...lol!
8. ANOTHER STRONG BLOW - Although ‘CREED II’ finds itself as the th installment of the Rocky franchise, it still possesses the raw and real quality of its predecessors. Is it as good as the st? Prolly not. But the st is (IMO) one of the best movies of all time. And this is a really good follow up. I’m not sure any movie could do what the st CREED did. But I thoroughly enjoyed this film. It’s fresh. New. Entirely entertaining and most importantly heartfelt
9. TRUE TO FORM - This is a movie for ‘Rocky Fans’. If you haven’t seen Rocky , then you should before or after seeing this sequel. I am old enough to remember the impact that Rocky made in my life. As a constant athlete in a state where being great at sports meant so much to everyone; I had to find iconic stories of training to push my focus on the power of training hard vs. the winning during a short game each week. I never really found the Rocky character very interesting because he was so different from myself. But with Rocky and the addition of Dolph Lungren... that all changed. Ivan Drago was such a powerful character who also trained with intensity beyond the level of most. Of course there was the hint hint of steroids adding to the power of this character. This was very believable in my world of football and power lifting. In the state I grew up in (and almost everywhere); strength enhancement was common and often the only way people could compete in a world of anomalies. But I saw the honor of working harder than anybody else to achieve this strength within the scenes of Rocky and within this movie years later. There were many parts of the film which I saw as ‘filler’ and certainly many people will find this film to be pretty hard to relate with. So it’s the fight scenes and the training scenes which made this film a good watch for me. Michael Jordan is truly a gifted actor as well as Sly Stallone. His amazing domination of the film world for many years didn’t just happen. He is still a powerful person of merit today. Enjoy
10. AWFUL!! - This movie was TERRIBLE! It's basically Rocky and with black actors. Total cash grab! Thought that this outing would be better than the first, which sucked as well. It took me four hours within two days to watch this movie as I kept getting bored. Glad that I rented it on Redbox, it was hardly worth the $. that I spent on the rental.
11. Terrible movie... - So Creed whines and cries all movie and he’s the hero?! If these movies had any heart Viktor Drago wins as there is ZERO reason to root against him. This is a stupid rehashing of a story that NOONE wanted. As to how anyone enjoyed this movie or found the ending satisfying is beyond me.
Release date: 2015-11-25 Genre:Drama $6.99
1. Creed review - This is likely Ryan Coogler’s best film to date. The story is great. The performances are also top notch . Highly recommended for any Boxing fans or just fans of well made cinema. A very rewatchable film. Don’t buy unless you see yourself rewatching something. It’s a thrill ride!
2. RENT IT !!! (ARCHY ) - I don't want to spoil the movie. The Movie story is, well, if you have seen Rocky; you have seen this movie. But it has a bit of Rocky IV in it as well. The ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE CHARACTERS HAVE BEEN CHANGED. ROCKY- is the old trainer (MICK) / & hism wife, CREED is rocky (only Micheal Jackson's acting is weak). BUT, there are a few twists that make the movie. It's not a movie you will watch over and over. In fact, they (STALLONE) are trying so hard to rewrite the original movies; that there is already a CREED II, about to become available. So, whateveer you do - RENT THIS.
DON'T BUY IT. You will see what I am talking about, around -min. into the movie.
3. % Rotten Tomatoes? - Wow... it was a good movie, but it was obviously a big pharma propaganda film for Chemo-therapy which uses drugs like Anthracyclines that damage the dna of cancer cells, and regular cells. The prostetic eye at the end was so over the top it was ridiculous. As far as rocky movies go, it was much better fighting. Cool to see Andre Ward, a great fighter, in the movie.
4. Unwatchable garbage! - Even trapped on an airplane for hours, I could not make it to the finish of this pathetic movie. The director is a ham-handed story-teller, plodding, unnatural, overly dramatic. The well-intentioned ambitions for this movie suggested something like the remarkable "The Rider," and instead they stumbled into Rocky XIV. Everything is bad: the acting, the writing, the mood, the pace, the light and look. You'll have to dumb yourself way down to think even a minute of this film could be representative of real life. Good luck with this junk!
5. The Worst Rocky Movie Ever ! - I never thought I would live to see the day where the was a bad Rocky movie in the series; however, here it is ! Rocky was ok, but this is downright trash - Boring, slow moving, uneventful, unoriginal, bad script, no-talent actors ! Sylvester should have made amends with Chuck Webner and get permission to use some more events from Chuck's life, than trying to write his own script. For those people who don't know, Stallone admitted to stealing events from Boxer, Chuck Webner's life, and used them for Rocky - and then settled with Webner in - years later from the release of Rocky . Check out: The Chuck Webner Story. It documents it all, including Stallone's admission where he got the ideas for the Rocky movies. It used to be on Netflix. And, what is the deal with the star reviews saying this is the best Rocky movie ever ???!!! Did these people even watch Rocky - ???!!! How much were the people paid to write star reviews ????!!! And, why does iTunes bury all of the star reviews at the bottom ???!!! I was duped into buying this movie, being a die-hard Rocky fan since Rocky so I would habe all of the movies in the series. Don't be fooled. Save your $. Your time will be better spent watching paint dry, and more entertaining, than watching this movie !
6. Fatherless Fighter Makes His Own Name - I've seen Creed three times. It is the best movie I've watched in recent years. The Rocky movies have changed my life, especially the first one, because I feel like I relate to Rocky so well. This movie was no different. Adonis Creed, the son of the late Apollo Creed, Rocky's rival turned friend, who we saw die in Rocky , is trying to find his own way and his own name without a father in his life. Eventually he finds Rocky, and invites himself into Rocky's life. If you grew up without a father, you will relate to this movie very well. The pain in Adonis is incredibly familiar to those who had no masculine influence growing up. Michael B. Jordan plays the role perfectly- his passion, his loneliness, his anger, his determination to prove that he's here for a reason- it's all amazing. Highly recommended. Please watch and enjoy. Sly, you are the man. God bless you all. Jesus loves you. Peace.
7. ROCK(Y) ON! - I loved this movie so much I had to buy it. To me, this is Mr Stallone at his very best, just awesome, and another great addition to the Rocky franchise movies. Michael.B.Jordran was very impressive playing (late) Apolo Creed's son. Both actors were pure perfection together. I was amazed to see after all these years, the Rocky movies are just as awe-inspiring as they were when they were first released. I Love You Rocky!
Release date: 2005-06-03 Genre:Drama $4.99
1. Insult to a decent man - Once again Howard and company have taken a compelling true story and then distorted the truth in mammoth proportions. Max Baer is portrayed as an egotistical, heartless jerk who has no remorse for taking two men's lives in the ring. The reality is one of the deaths most likely had little to do with Baer, and he was deeply affected by the tragedies. He even put the dead fighter's kids through school and sat by the man's bedside. He was brash and a showman but hardly the boxing scum bag implied here. Wouldn't a story about two decent men on very different sides of life both fighting it out in the ring for different reasons have been a compelling enough story?
2. Read This Please!!! - Some comments here's are saying its not well made, and at first glance you may think its true, but when my teacher showed us this movie in class, I was amazed. It was such a sad, heart warming film, and everyone including me loved it! I don't know why everyone is saying that it's like every other movie about an underdog, when infant this is giving a glimpse into the great depression, and showing us some of the hard ships others went through in order to survive. This is an amazing movie and I recommend it to anyone thinking of buying it!!!
3. LOVE IT!! - My history teacher had us watch this movie, and she kept telling us that judges are making people watch it and write an essay on it. At first, I really wasnt interested in it, but now it's has to be one of my favorite movies. Plus, it is based on a true story. The final match is soo amazing. Showing how people were and what they lived like also helped add to how much James Braddock loved his family. he also seemed to want to risk his life just so his family could have money. Overrall, It's a great movie that everyone should enjoy.
4. Awesome movie - This movie is definitely one that makes you feel good after you watch it. I've never seen a boxing movie but this is far more than that, the actors and actresses do a fantastic job playing the roles of people living during the Great Depression. This movie is fantastic and a must see, you will love it!
5. Boxing is great, and so is the story! - I loved the fighting, but I loved the story too about a man trying to get his family through the great depression. The movie touches you because its about fighting for the American dream, holding the family together in tough times. And great performances from Renee and Crowe, excellent movie!
6. Nothing short of outstanding! - This film shows all of us just what is the most important thing in our lives.....family. When all is said and done its our family that we work, fight and live for. The acting is first rate and Ron Howard once does a great directing job. This movie is a must add to anyones movie collection.
7. Ron Howard should stick to narrating awesome sticoms. - I heard nothing but universal praise about this movie before I saw it, and I can understand why. It's a feel good story about an underdog rising above all the hardships and evil in the world to overcome and win the day. Great. Sadly, I've seen this story about a dozen times in other better sports dramas, most notably the first Rocky. This alone would be okay, but the way it's handled here made me nauseous. The good guy is perfect. He has no flaw. Likewise, every bad guy is pure evil. They have no good within them. The complete lack of gray area is not only unrealistic, it makes things dreadfully boring. And again, the feeling of "been there, done that" predictability doesn't help. Yeah. I don't like this movie.
8. great movie but it's WAY more then a boxing film!!! - I loved this movie but boxing is just the backdrop to the real story which is going through the depresstion era with very little money and just trying to put food on your family table that's what this movie is truley about. I saw it in history class and that's the biggest thing that I got out of it, ,just look past the boxing scens themselves don't get me wrong the boxing scens are great but their is way more in here then just that.
9. The Kind Of Movie That We Need More Often - This movie brings a smile to my face. I feel that it was immensely underrated and still is. We need more stories that inspire, show love and passion for dreams. That a husband would do anything for his family even in great desperate times. These themes and actions are what makes this a wonderful film. This generation needs to get off mtv, for example, and start watching things that actually means something. Though the language doesn't bode well but probably serves the time period.
Release date: 2011-09-09 Genre:Action & Adventure $4.99
1. You don’t think but man..... - This movie had me sobbing at the end. This film comes out of no where with awesome performances, great character development to where you care about all the characters. Fighting is great, well choreographed. If you’re like me and you’re skeptical, just take the leap.
2. Heart of a Lion - So goooooooood! I can’t even! The action ha some screaming at the screen “break his leg!” The family dynamic has so much under current and didn’t spoon feed you. Make it what you will for the performances. Nick Nolte acted his heart out and maybe gave a bit more of himself in this role as a recovering alcoholic trying to get back in his sons lives any way he could. And the two brothers; Tom Hardy always guaranteed to give it his all and Joel Edgerton’c conflicted but heart of lion performance! I didn’t know who to root for. It’s emotional and great fight sequences!
3. Yep. This is a good one. - Couldn’t imagine how this was going to end well but it did! I rented it but now I’ve got to buy it. Creating acting by Tom Hardy. The dude is intense! Like some others here, this is the first time I’ve written a review, but this is really an outstanding movie with a new storyline.
4. Shocked - I saw this movie just as a whim and I was blown away. The story is great the fights scenes are well done, and I was shocked when I read online it didn't do very well. This movie is very underrated and I enjoyed it very much and git me motivated and at the end I was cheering. Great movie I would recommend to everyone who enjoys a good fast paced drama. Great work by the actors and writers.
5. Best moviee!!!!!!! - I have never wrote a review on any movie granted I've watched movies that I could of wrote great reviews for but this movie intrigues the viewer on a whole different level deep seeded family issues between two brothers who are literally fighting to overcome there issues is just such a well thought out plot. The fact that this movie was not as popular is sad yet generic movies with no real meaning see the top of the box offices is jus ridiculous. This was definitely one of the best movies I've ever seen and I'm sure if anyone sees it they would be compelled to write a review as well also to those who gave it a rotten review you are all robots...definitely watch this movie and tell everyone you know to watch it as well I guarantee you won't regret it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6. This Movie is Incredible, and Anthropologically Profound - This is an incredible movie. Extraordinarily well done. Riveting. From a behavioral science perspective, it seems a depiction of European cultural anthropology on land, family, war, and religion. In retrospect, I would argue the mother, uncast in the film, was theoretically more present that all the other characters in the story; as a Catholic, I submit that she was always present by her prayers. Loved every minute of it.
7. Warrior - As a fan of actors with range- let me just say, this film has range and depth to go around. I was shocked they made it pg , but it worked. Just enough brutality to get the message across without overdoing it. The real story was the family. This film is not what you expect. But that is the best part. Truly surprising, and rewarding. One of my favorite sports movies to date.And all leading men are spectacular together.
Release date: 2008-02-29 Genre:Comedy $4.99
1. Ohhhh,Man...This was pretty disappointing - I am huge Will Ferrell fan&I actually went to see this in theatres when it first came out. I thought that it looked super funny from the previews. I mean, most of his movies are laugh out loud funny but I think I might have chuckled a few times while watching this one. It was just dumb. Nothing happends. It tries too hard to be funny but it fails...epically....its just not as good as I had hoped. Oh,well. "Step-Brothers" made up for that.
2. Half-Exhausted Yet Pleasant - Semi-Pro might be Will Ferrel's weakest film to date. Its always comforting to see him act in these kinds of movies, because there is always a form of satisfaction coming out of it. I enjoyed the 's homages and the occasional ad-libbed moments delivered by Ferrel. But it seems that everything else surrounding the film was unconfident and poorly executed. Andre Benjamin and Woody Harrelson are not convincing as supporting roles, but I will give them credit for trying. On a brighter note, Semi-Pro is worth watching at least once or twice, it hits the spot of a comedy craving and serves for that very purpose and nothing more.
3. Great for Will Ferrell fans - Two things. . You have to be a Will Ferrell fan. . You have to watch this movie several times. Will Ferrell movies are an aquired taste. I remember when I first saw Anchorman previews I thought how stupid it was until I actually saw the movie; it became an instant favorite comedy of mine and I can't count how many times I watched Anchorman. If you don't get his humor then you shouldn't bother with his movies. This movie is very much in the way of Anchorman in the sense that it has a cast of overly macho guys from a time period when men used to be men. He pokes fun at that and it works. Since for some reason itunes doesn't have Anchorman this is the next best thing from Will Ferrell. Very funny. If you are a fan and love Will Ferrell's sense of humor than you should definately watch.
4. Some laughable moments, but not one of Ferrell's best - I would give this / stars... worth seeing especially if you are a Woody Harrelson or Will Farrell fan, but this doesn't compare to his best of the best (Anchorman). Pretty much if you've seen the trailer, you've seen the movie. Some great one-liners and characters, but all in all, few laughs and moments to remember.
5. They tried to remake Anchorman, and they failed - I loved Anchorman - one of my favorite comedies of all time. But seriously, it's hard to make good movies about hilariously ignorant, misogynist men in the 's (and how different was Talledega Nights, while we're at it?) I stopped watching Semi Pro halfway through, and I was on an airplane. Staring at the seatback was better.
6. Very Little Funnyness-(boo) - This movie is just so not wat u would expect from will ferrel-his last sports movies were great. This one just didn't reach the bar for me. The language is terrible-so don't let ur kids watch it. And the whole movie is just not good. The reason i gave it a is because there r about funny parts in the hole movie. So my suggestion..... don't buy!!!!
7. Waste of Time, Money - This pathetic excuse of a movie robbed me of $ as well as an hour and a half of time that could have been spend doing something worthwhile. Will Ferrel brings the only character he can play to a horribly written and totally unoriginal screenplay. Ferrel has stretched his talent to its extent, and once again subjects this once loyal fan to the crap-fest known as Semi-Pro.
8. MAYBE A AT BEST - I am amazed that you all rate drillbit taylor so much higher than semi-pro - they are both pretty terrible but arguably SPro stands a chance. This could have been so much better - white dudes playing basketball is funny enough but somehow they screwed this up. Renters will be frustrated, buyers will have remourse, save your time and just go get white men cant jump - which is ) hysterical ) has real bastketball play and ) significantly much better than Semi Pro. I think the biggest disappointment here is that you expected some more of the coolness of the s to show up like it did in anchorman or austin powers...and it didnt.
Release date: 2002-03-29 Genre:Drama $4.99
1. a feel good movie - Once I heard the real Jim Morris interview on the Jim Rome radio showI had to watch in the theater. The actors did their homework in getting the terminology, excreting, etc. to authenticate the game of baseball. His confidence improved at each stage i.e., from the minors to the majors. What an asset to middle aged(average age in the mid-’s) men can still fulfill their athletic dream (in light of the current bashing of man in the media). Just as pro golfer Tom Watson leading the Open Championship in his early ’s (but lost in the playoff). Any man suffering from depression, this movie WILL lift one’s spirits up for a couple of hours!!!
2. Didn't work for me at all - I do love Baseball, and Sports movies in general. And there are precious few who cut the mustard. Sadly, this ain't one of them.
Firstly, Dennis Quaid is nowhere near looking , but every day of the years (and then some) he was old when he shot this film. Secondly, he couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. He’s probably a nice guy and may even throw a good ball, but De Niro he ain't. His wooden demeanor and two or three facial expressions do fit the schematic Disney script, though.
There is not one really likeable character in this movie, and you never get the feeling that the people on the screen are real people with real emotions, ties, a genuine connection.
The movie is neither as warm-hearted as Annie's Men, nor as schmaltzy as For Love of the Game. It's more like other Disney Sports Movies, e.g. The Greatest Story Ever Told (about Golf legend Francois Ouimet).
I’m glad I only rented this, but still it was , and (worse) time wasted. Sorry, but this film didn't work at all for me.
3. Thrilling and Inspiring !!!! - This is one of the best sports movies out there. The storyline is very inspiring as a highschool baseball coach fullfills his dreams of playing in the major leagues. The acting is pretty good and the little son is so adorable. All and all a great family movie. Even if you don't like sports, this movie is about fullfilling your dreams even if you think it might be too late. Highly recomended
4. A great feel good movie - I love this movie because i am one of the world's biggest baseball fans and this movie satisfies that calling for baseball but yet a feel good storyline. definitely one of my top favorite movies of all time. watch it!!!! it's really good!!! if you like baseball you will love this movie!
5. Bringin' the heat - This is definitely a family affair. Heartwarming, sweet, and realistic, even for it's tall-tale touch. Dennis Quaid delivers as a man who finally goes after his dreams, and proves that even though you might be matured, you can still grow. It pleases me to know that some true stories can feel straight out of books that have happy endings.
6. The Rookie Quaid is a Movie Star - This is darn good true story. The entire cast is excellent, except for the actor who plays his son, that kids is awful, I believe his in the CBS TV Show two and half men. You don't even have to like sports to enjoy this movie. As everyone has said Dennis Quaid is great in this movie, as he always is, but there is a solid story behind this movie and the movie rocks. It is a solid star because of Quaid but when it comes to sports movies Bang the Drum Slowly is far better. So is Remember the Titan's and Denzel smokes in that movie.
Release date: 2000-09-29 Genre:Drama $4.99
1. iTunes Extras & Apple TV Extras needed - Good movie, but why are the Special Features and iTunes & Apple TV Extras not on iTunes and Apple TV? Why does the original film have the iTunes Extras but the remake doesn’t have any iTunes Extras? I don’t understand why there’s no iTunes Extras if there are Special Features on home video. I have discovered that the Special Features for this film is on the DVD/Blu-Ray release, but not included on iTunes. This is really annoying to me when the Special Features appear on the Home Video releases of movies, but not on iTunes as iTunes & Apple TV Extras because technology is advancing everyday. Apple and iTunes should make it mandatory for all movies that came with Special Features on home video be released on iTunes as Apple TV & iTunes Extras as well. Can you guys please add iTunes & Apple TV Extras for this movie such as the audio commentaries and behind-the-scenes features along with the recut version and also upgrade to K so people can see behind the scenes of how movies are made? I think adding iTunes & Apple TV Extras for this movie can be an improvement for the movie since the home video release includes Special Features as with all other movies. I found this movie on Disney and found the all deleted scenes of the movie. This is really annoying to me when the Special Features appear on the Home Video releases of movies, but not on iTunes because technology is advancing everyday. I think it’s time that Apple and iTunes should make it mandatory for all movies that came with Special Features on home video be released on iTunes as Apple TV & iTunes Extras as well.
2. This movie. - I remember when this movie came out. We watched in school and had to write about it. I absolutely love this movie. Every time I heard ain't no mountain I think of this movie. This movie is on tv frequently and I cry every single time. This is on my top picks of favourite movies of all time. Absolutely worth my time over and over again.
3. Amazing Movie - This movie is an amazing movie. Everyone should see this movie at least once. Remember the Titans is a heartwarming story, but that's not all it is. This is a movie about rough times in American history and showing how people can come together. Masterpiece from start to finish, and it never gets old no matter how many times I've seen it since it originally came out!
4. Favorite Movie of All Time - I recently watched this movie in health class to learn about conflict resolutions. We started watching it on Friday and couldn't finish until Monday. I couldn't wait over the weekend. That Saturday I rented it on iTunes and I do not regret it one bit. This is an amazing movie. No other football movie will ever be as good as Remember the Titans.
5. I say for ages and up if mature at the minimum. - This movie is a very good movie has funny parts,sad parts,scary parts(worried some scenes aka fight scenes ) and also happy parts. This shows about in the past how our world was. It shows the team which found out that there all the same. So I bet if you ask old folks about them the would still..... Remember the titans
6. Great movie - I am a huge football fan and I love this movie. So I rented it on my ipad to watch at hotels during vacation, they charged $. for a one day rental and when I rented it and had it downloaded and all ready to go I hit play and I couldn't even watch it! I had perfect wifi connection and every thing but it wouldn't even open! I am never renting another movie from apple again!
7. Remember the Titans - Great movie that touches your heart. It really shows the struggles in the 's with race. My favorite character is Gary. He shows great leadership and brings his team to victory! It is a shame that he died so young but his legend still lives on and will touch people's hearts as it did with mine!
Release date: 1986-11-14 Genre:Drama $4.99
1. Homie don't play that - he plays for Coach - A hackneyed plot and thematic contrivances almost tips the scales into unwanton and unforgiveable triteness in this sports "classic". Things fall into place all too smoothly for Mr. Hackman and his ballyhooed Hoosier H.S. basketball players. A drunk played by Hopper is a plot contortion that is wholly unncessary and really is the straw that broke this reviewer's back enough to pan my score of this semi-inspirational hoop story down to barely stars. I like a good emotional and carthartic film that comes together as a win for the "good guys". Heck, I like even to shed a tear or two in a movie on the caliber of "Field of Dreams", "Rudy" or "Without Limits" (look it up - great flick about Prefontaine). However, I don't like it when I see it coming a mile away, and the director rubs my face in it. Everyone is a hero, down to the idiot who still shoots free throws "grandma" style. Seriously? Am I supposed to feel sorry for that dolt? And, can Jimmy EVER miss a shot? The despicable love interest for da Coach reaks of Hollywood wholesomeness thrown in to cater to the female "voice" in this film otherwise dominated by men. Is that such a bad thing? A boy and his ball, shooting hoops with Pa, day in and day out, just to have the chance to play for a team in the Hoosier state.
2. Hoosier Hysteria - If you went to an Indiana high school, you can totally relate to this movie. Who hasn't been to a sectional championship or regional championship game? Up until class play, the little guy always had a chance to beat the big guy. Its the stuff of dreams. The Milan team is legendary in this state. In fact, my high school councelor was a member of that team. It was always so cool to see his state championship ring.
3. No longer available?!?! - I bought Hoosiers a year or so ago, watched it all the time. Especially my two year old son who loved it and wants to watch "Jimmy". However, since the recent update it is now "no longer available". Which seems odd since I had already purchased it. Please add the movie back, refund my money, or advise what should be done. Honestly I just want the movie working again, please make that happen as this is quite irritating.
4. Not a basketball movie! - It's a classic tale of redemption and second chances. This movie is all heart; a story of one man trying to out-run his past and make things right; another man trying to redeem a troubled relationship with his son; and a young man who wants his shot at "the glory days." Set in the 's, everything is right, from the clothing, to the cars, to the rules of basketball. It's a true story (more or less), the players are not actors, and Hackman proves why he is THE actor of his generation. Touching and inspiring, I promise you, you will be cheering at the end of the movie with a misty eye.
5. Easily.... - one of the best basketball movies I have ever seen. Hoosiers is a great story, even though everyone
can probably predict the ending. Gene Hackman is very convincing in his lead role of this movie which really enhances the movie. This movie can make you cry, cheer, and be angry all in hour and minutes:]
6. A timeless classic - From the opening credits, the beautiful music and breath-taking photography, as Norman Dale drives through the Indiana cornfields and into Hickory, you are pulled in. The character development and plotting, plus the believability of the boys on the team, are dead on. Gene Hackman is an American icon and Barbara Hershey was magnificent as a woman of integrity and small town Midwestern values. The only thing in the entire movie that bothered me - still, after a dozen viewings - is Dale's insistence to pass the ball four times before taking a shot. As a gym rat and former sports columnist I never did understand that. You might find the perfect shot opportunity after two passes...
7. Inspired by a true story - This is a great movie!!! Based on a real small town basketball team that had a dream come true, this movie is fueled by great acting, a genuine recreation of the period, and a wonderful message of hope and courage. Not one character in the movie remains unchanged by the movies end. Hollywood adds it share to make their simple lives more exciting for the big screen; but all in all, this movie is must see and easily one of the best "sport films" of all time. You can't go wrong here! Buy it, watch it, and thank me later.
8. I don't get it... - I'm sorry, but I just don't get the hype surrounding this movie--seemed at best a below average sports movie to me. What the movie lacked most for me was character development; at the end of the film, I feel like I didn't really know anyone well except for Hackman's character. The substory of the player and his father didn't get nearly enough screen time, and I never got to know any of the other players really at all. Of course it was predictable, but most good sports movies are--that wasn't the problem. Another problem I found with the film was the supposed romantic relationship between Hackman's character and the other teacher. What became of that at the end? It seemed like it was just stuck in the movie to give it a bit of romance, but very little was done to develop it. So, to sum it up, I like basketball, but I hated this movie. It was a painful bore.
Release date: 2004-02-06 Genre:Drama $4.99
1. iTunes & Apple TV Extras and K needed - Good movie, but when will the Special Features and Apple TV & iTunes Extras, along with the extended version/directors cut of the movie be added as Apple TV & iTunes Extras as well as upgrading to K? I found this movie on Disney and found the all deleted scenes of the movie. This is really annoying to me when the Special Features appear on the Home Video releases of movies, but not on iTunes because technology is advancing everyday. I think it’s time that Apple and iTunes should make it mandatory for all movies that came with Special Features on home video be released on iTunes as Apple TV & iTunes Extras as well.
2. Kurt Russell - Kurt Russell at his best. As Herb Brooks, he really molded this realitively young college players into players who would, and could, take on the best in the world. It took the assistant coach and team doctor a little while to realize Brooks method to make this team invinsible. Spot on.
3. Greatest Moment In AMERICAN Sports! - Without a doubt, the absolute greatest moment in United States sports history! It should be a requirement to view this movie at least once in every American's life. The completely impossible task of beating the best hockey team on the planet, by a group of college hockey players. To this day, watching this movie, still has me on the edge of my chair, heart racing and cheering at the tv! years ago, kids (and coaches) orchestrated a nation of American patriotism that, to this day, still resonates! You can keep all of your Super Bowls, World Series', and Stanley Cups. This film trumps them all!
4. Best sports movie ever - You don't have to be a hockey fan to like this movie, but if you are you're going to love it! Hands down one of my favorite movies of all time. My friends and I quote it all the time. It's well made and is more than just the story of an underdog. It's the story of a nation. It teaches that with a combination of teamwork, perseverance, hard work and hope, you can achieve anything. Do you believe in miracles?
5. GREAT BUY - Was a little weary after watching the trailer, but I bucked up the courage and bought it. Man was I not disappointed, the movie was craftivley made amazing all the way around! Truely made me proud to be an American. Oh just throwing it out there kinda disappointed they only mention BU cuz I hate those guys :) Boston College Hockey all day!!!!!
6. a movie miracle! - I play hockey, and this movie is a definite must see classic for all avid hockey fans! and it makes you want to cheer even more knowing that its a true story! Like you're at the Olympics with all the tension, high emotions, and pressure that was probably going on throughout the games! Love this movie, go USA!
Release date: 2023-01-20 Genre:Drama $14.99
Release date: 1993-04-09 Genre:Comedy $14.99
1. Childhood - This movie is one of a kind and always will be. It’s original, it’s heartwarming, and it brings you back to a simpler time of being a child. When I watch I remember the days I spent as a kid running around my neighborhood thinking my friends and I ran that block and our city. Nothing but respect for one of the classics which is this.
2. wow - just saw this and holy mercy it is the best baseball movie ever. for those watching with younger kids, there is some language. for writing geeks, it does not have a well developed storyline (meaning, it didn't really follow the rules of the whole rising action, climax, falling action thing). but! that can be ignored. i didn't notice it till afterwards. the humor and suspense covers all that up tho. SPOILER
the parts with the most suspense always turn out happy, so younger kids won't have something to scar their little eyes forever. i will say, though the writers didn't follow the regular story-writing path, they did a very good job of balancing everything out. there's a little bit of everything in this movie. literally amazing. i cannot stop raving about this.
3. A REAL CLASSIC! - If you're extra fortunate, you'll have the opportunity to experience something so rare, like Halley's Commet or Larry Bird (from the tiny town of French Lick, Indiana), I am here to tell you that "The Sandlot" is one of those rarities where everything just fits together "perfectly". The Sandlot is not only a Homerun, it is without a doubt, a "GRANDSLAM" for generations to come.
4. Fantastic family comedy - A great movie about a group of kids who come together for their love of a favorite outdoor pastime for many children. A fantastic job is made of taking you back to that pastime and setting the stage for what will become a story to share (and is shared) for years to come. The nervousness of being a new kid in the neighborhood and the fun that is made in making the newcomer ‘feel welcome’ and part of this little misfit family, the solidarity that is formed in resolving the issue that comes from inexperience and resulting lifelong connections are all on display in a plain and obvious and simple format for all to love. No character building! The characters are introduced and their wonderful little individuality and quirks are readily on display and loved. Most anyone can relate here. This movie shows the disconnect between ‘critics’ and real movie watchers. Critics are movie ‘snobs’ who are invested in making sure that other snobs don’t chide them for properly reviewing a movie. No account is taken when thinking of the middle-of-America average movie watcher.
5. THIS WILL BE THE BEST MOVIE...FOREVER!!! - I LOVED this movie. I wasn't alive when it came out, but my parents were watching it one night so I decided to watch it too, and it has been my favorite movie of all time ever since. I'm so glad they have this on iTunes, watching it on YouTube isn't the same, the quality is terrible on YouTube.
TheSandlot Smalls BennyTheJetRodriguez YeahYeah Squints Kenny Ham Bertrum Timmy Tommy Beast. LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!
6. Greatest movie of all time!!!! - I would watch this movie every day if I could. It is an amazing classic. I'm a huge baseball fan, and this movie makes me love it even more. I love the whole theme of the movie. Squints and Ham have got to be my favorite characters, not that Benny's not awesome or anything, it's just those two made me laugh Forever!!!
7. One of the greatest family/comedy sports movie - I personally love the sandlot. The sandlot is such a hilarious funny movie of all time. I used to watch it a lot when I was a very little baby. I have so many memories about the sandlot. There is a lot of great memorable moments in the film you can ever imagine. Tom guiry, Mike vitar, Patrick renna, Brandon Adams, victor diamatta, and James earl jones were so amazing in the movie. Everyone of the kids were absolutely young because they were kids. I think Mike vitar was probably years old in the sandlot in . Tom guiry was probably or years old. There is such a true heartwarming story about a boy named Scotty smalls who moves to the neighborhood and he wants to make some friends by playing baseball at the sandlot and of course there's this big dog at the neighbors house and they think it's a beast. The sandlot is such a true sports classic.
8. sandlot - uirgyhoudrtfgaoyrthgghhdhgguhnuivghb uihjkhfaihhflwkefhjdjjdjdfjhhhjfddhhjhdfjioidhjfjihdhhjfjhdkjhfhjshshjhfhsdljhjlfdshdfsjhdfshfhdfhfdhhsjdhfsdhfdshs;sfhjhjfsddhjsf;dfhjdfhjhfjdhfjdhfjdhfjdhdfjshjdfhjsdfhjdfhjhjdfdfjshdffdshdfhdfsfdhfldshdlfhfsh;fs;hl;dfh;l;hlh;fh;ajh;lz:HLDVLdjfkhecrkdfgyuvfhjghvudghhhhhhhhhhiugbhstbuthgipuihgqp;hguijighphpunijgkrighnwisehkjrghuijkrghqurijghviurfgjhkbtignujjnuhvnvnhvuihiouhjkjnJCHIVajcvhjhkdjvnvjhiyeohvn jfklhuifhyhv
Release date: 2010-12-17 Genre:Drama $4.99
1. Great - This is one of the best movies ever it is on my top favorite movie of all time you have to see this movie it is so good mark plays a great part in this movie and bale is one of the best actor he was so good in the batman and he is so good in the fighter you have to see this movie it is so good one of the best movies you will ever see in your life
2. BEST movie!!! - Easily one of the best movies I've ever seen. I've watched it at least - times and it never gets old/I love it more each time I see it. The acting could not possibly be better. Christian Bale makes me want to cry with how AMAZING he is, and Melissa Leo and Amy Adams are also SUPERB. Mark Wahlberg also was impressive which was surprising to me since I don't normally enjoy his acting. If you don't see this movie you are SERIOUSLY missing out on a cinematic masterpiece!!
3. Boring & exaggerated - As a person who follows the sport of Boxing very very closely I've never liked Boxing movies besides Rocky & the reason for that is because the fighting scenes are poorly done & it just takes away from the sweet science. Anyway, the fighting scenes weren't that bad in this film & even Mark Wahlberg & Christian Bale played their part well as Micky Ward & his trainer Dick, my problem with this film is the fact that Ward's fight's were misplaced & not at all how it really happened in real life especially his last fight, his real world title shot & was against Verno Philips where he was stopped in but instead they skipped right ahead to his fight with Shea Neary which was for a minor title that means nothing, & acted like it was a huge success. Oh & how could you forget the Gatti trilogy?.
4. Inspirational. - Wahlberg always has a deep connection or a deep, true way of expressing himself through acting which is a rare thing to have. He's so inspirational. This movie is not only an amazing sport movie- it's an inspirational movie due to the great acting skills of all the actors and actresses. Definitely a movie to watch and buy! :)
5. Not only great sports movie but also great overall movie - I loved this movie - it offered both a compelling story and great sports scenes. I also thought the acting was wonderful - melissa leo, amy adams, christian bale, and mark wahlberg were ALL excellent. You are drawn in my each and everyone of these characters. I love how there were multiple interesting and engaging stories - the fighter, the brother, the family, the girlfriend... This movie is definitely more than a typical "sports" movie - there is a lot of depth here, made all the more powerful since this is based on true events. I love sports dramas and this was one of my favorites."
6. One of the best movies ever - This is one of the best movies ever… I can hardly explain how deeply touched i was by this movie, i cried several times during the two hours of pure magnificence. It's really hard to explain how good this movie is. Firstly the characters are so strong, Your eyes are dragged to the screen every second of the movie, The movie starts with the words "Based on a true story", normally this would mean that it would be a cheesy storyline and some bad acting, but here it gives the movie a feeling of truth and realism that can't be described. I have endless respect for the people who made this movie… Thank you for giving me an experience of a lifetime.
7. Disappointed - The acting was good and the story was real and from many accounts accurate. To me it was too predictable and did not feel finished to me. It was over and I was like, time for part and . Bale was amazing. The mom was way overrated for her part. I expected to be overwhelmed and it was a typical performance. No rocky or million dollar baby here. Rating a out of .
8. THE MOST AMAZING MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN HANDS DOWN - THIS MOVIE WAS ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! thats possible the only way I can describe it! Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale, and Amy Adams were brilliant in this movie, and it deserves all the praise it gets. I could watch it every day, it never gets old! A MUST SEE MOVIE!! Great job Mark Wahlberg, you pulled it off!
9. Hopeless - I found this movie hopeless. It's so realistic and visceral with crack addiction, codependent families, lack of birth control, over-representation of white trash women, that it leaves you with no hope for humanity. Every character within the movie is codependent and weak, even while the main character is winning boxing matches. At the end, nothing is redeemed. Sad really.
10. Marky Mark Take An Acting Class Please - This movie was a huge disappointment. The characters (unfortunately they are actually real people) were not likeable. Instead, they were annoying and boring. I do have to give Christian Bale props for acting, but I wish he would teach Mark Walberg a thing or two because he is so boring. It's like watching a robot try to act. He is bland, boring, and not believable as that character. The whole movie was an overrated waste. Pass it up. I wish I had.
Release date: 2016-02-26 Genre:Comedy $4.99
1. What Sports Are About - This story gets to the heart of sport. It is encapsulated in a brief conversation between the best and worst ski jumpers in Calgary in the lift up their jump. "Winning and losing is for the little people" (the champion says); "we exist above all that in the pursuit of personal excellence" (paraphrase). That is why sports are interesting to atheletes and non-athletes alike: we relate to the struggle toward achievement. This movie does such a good job getting the character correct - respectful even while portraying his limitations as he lays it all out in public, in a way most of us are afraid to even try. We fear humiliation. He feared quitting. Great, wonderful story!
2. Good movie, not great - I liked this movie, it was good, but it could have been great. It lacked the depth it could have had...I just think this movie had a lot more potential considering the great material and cast. I also noticed all the added story elements, and now I question what was and wasn't true about this story. I also have a litte issue with the message this movie sends. Yes, its inspirational, great underdog story...don't give up on your dream, take chances and risks, etc, etc. But the risk Eddie was taking is a little over the top, risking his life without the proper training and years of experience under his belt...not neccessarily an example I would want my kids to follow, if I had any that is. All in all, though, a nice movie, its ok.
3. Disappointing - This is such an amazing story, but instead of covering it, the movie largely focuses on a fictitious coach (drunken, former athelete, down on his luck, makes a comeback, kisses and makes up with his coach etc) and a bunch of characters whose only purpose is to show how lovable English eccentrics are, how nasty Europeans can be and how desperate for sex middle aged landladies are. If I were Eddie the Eagle, I would be insulted by this. A real disappointment. Cool Runnings did a better job and this fictitious version of Eddie the Eagle is almost identical.
4. Very Inspiring, Heartfelt Family Film - LOVED IT! - Exceptional story and film. Great to watch with your kids. My wife is a big Hugh Jackman fan but showed no interest in watching this film. Finally got around to convincing her to give it a try and she loved it. I remember Eddie the Eagle during the ' Olympics but I had no idea about his personal struggles. Also, the fact that he decided to do the ultimate meter jump at the Olympics is legendary. Very risky stuff but he showed he had the courage to do it. The film stays true to the Olympic spirit. Highly recommended.
Release date: 2021-11-11 Genre:Action & Adventure $6.99
1. Not Really “Ultimate” - Rocky IV is one of those movies from my childhood that still resonates today. This directors cut has some added scenes that, quite honestly, deserved to be cut in the first place. Cheesy and irrelevant that didn’t add anything special and actually took away from my memories of this picture. If you are looking for some great added scenes and/or reminisce over a good old Cold War movie, I would look elsewhere.
2. A Better Cut of this Film - Revisiting this classic was a bold experiment. It was well worth it. This is a much more intimate and nuanced version of the film. It pulled me in more. All of the small moments, looks, glances, reactions and pauses made for a more emotional experience. I really enjoyed this new look at Rocky IV.
3. Fascinating mistake! - With his new edit you see why scenes are cut out of a film to make it work. Stallone put so many crap shots/takes/and scenes that should have remained on the cutting room floor because it's either bad writing, a bad take, or just downright bad acting. All of the above! In this edit you see the actor who played Appolo's trainer really is not a versatile, able, actor because Stallone put back scenes of just bad acting. Talia Shire's bad takes are in there too. Sure she has more screen time but it's all a fascinnating lesson on how films are improved and salvaged through editing - which this cut seems to return to what was possibly one of the first drafts of the initial cuts. Like Coppola, Stallone should not touch his old movies. This was so bad and shockingly amateur. The cringe turned to boredom and eventual sadness. I love Stallone but this actually, I would say, is his first awful film. And had he started with the display of this kind of ability we wouldn't be talking about him today.
4. Some good some bad - Stallone isn’t known for his editing and this is no exception. While the ideas that he wanted to bring out more were there it’s one of those “you should have thought of that when you started” because they feel tacked on. The living in America scene is better, Apollo’s funeral should have been in the original and a lot of missing Drago moments were awesome. Original is still better but there is enough there to watch at least once if you’re a fan.
5. absolute garbage! - None of the additional scenes added any value to the movie, they were poorly placed and poorly acted. They were taken out for a reason and should have stayed out. This version does not flow as smoothly as the original version and definitely does not inspire. Don’t waste any money on this if you can avoid it.
6. Worth The Watch And The Money ! - I was when Rocky IV came out. Over the past years and all the movies and especially Creed II, it really was a great time to release this version. I always felt that more of Apollo’s funeral should have been shown and I’m glad the Robots were lost, but I wish there was more Apollo and more of Robert, especially when he kinda shadowed Rocky while watching the fight. It does give more context as to why it was so much more important for Rocky and Adonis to face Drago and his son in Creed II. Glad I added this to my Collection!
7. Destroyed a Beloved Movie - This cut absolutely destroyed Rocky . Everything from the pacing, to the horrible placement of the music beds/score, to the completely unnecessary added scenes destroyed this movie. The scenes that were cut out were missed as well. Even the ridiculous robot scenes. The added footage and dialogue also made Drago feel like less of a threat. And what was with the speech after Rocky’s win being recut so it made absolutely no impact whatsoever. Glad that I just spent $. to rent it.
8. Why? This was pointless and disappointing - Doesn’t feel anything like the original. Some of the acting in the alternate takes are poor. The music doesn’t punch or stand out as well. It’s a weird experiment as in some ways it’s cut together to try and be different from the other films, but it so heavily leans on the past that it’s not a stand alone movie. It’s still very much a sequel. It’s like a child you-tuber cut it together. I thought the fight scenes with Apollo and were cut together great but the drama of that sequence was lost. I think Sly tried too hard to force a vision that he had but this came across like a bonus feature of deleted scenes from a DVD. At least the robot scene is gone… That’s why I gave it stars and not . Stick with the original cut. This one is an abomination. For the record, I love the first films in order of release. Part is an embarrassing joke. Check out my YouTube channel “Gator McKlusky Reviews”
9. Original Director's Cut - Mixed feelings but I'll give it a ./. Don't want to ruin anything. OVERALL, a good watch for any Rocky fan.. Still better than Rocky V . I didn't agree with some of the edits but many were fun to watch. At the end of the day, I still prefer the original but if I can change, and you can change, ..everybody can change!
10. Nostalgic Dessert (but no meal) - When you’re watching you think you’re dreaming. You keep asking yourself questions about what’s missing. Where’s the robot? “Happy Birthday, Paulie.” I had bizarre s dreams after. Stallone please keep finding footage and cutting your films. Cobra next please.
11. Remix - I love Rocky , it always bothered me how the punches were thrown. This version fixes that. No more Paulie Robot & no more Apollo vs Rocky intro. Overall still great cut especially the fights and looks beautiful in Dolby Atmos. Some parts here and there a little grainy. Sound is much better too. A must have for Rocky fans.
Release date: 2009-11-20 Genre:Drama $14.99
1. Blind side - I love this movie so much. This is one of those movies that you watch over and over again , and you never grow tired of it. You always notice something you haven't noticed before. Excellent cast, songs, and acting. Sandra Bullock is one hell of a Leigh Anne Tuohy . Tim Mcraw , lily Collins, and Jae whitehead as well. But the real star to me is Quinton Aaron- his performance was worthy of a never ending applause . And I can relate with this movie to my own trials in life, and how I am not the only one with barriers that need to be broken and will be broken. Great message - will remain in minds for many more years to come. I also look up to both the real Michael Oher - and the actor
2. Right up there with Any Given Sunday, Miracle, Rudy.... - ...and the other 'sports greats'. I'm not sure if Mike is still in the active column in the NFL, but until now, you were able to watch Michael Oahr protect Flacco's blind side ...of the Baltimore Ravens! He lasted a good, great decade in the trenches and will eventually contend ...IMHO, a spot in the hallowed halls of Canton
Awesome movie, I'm and my year old son enjoys watching it before Pop Warner games ... and as his coach and father, it's these flicks I'm happy he's so interested in ...not that he doesn't ask for Fred or Jason or the other Michael once in a while;)
Football fans a MUST See
Sport fans Football fans/you'll love it Non sports fans, perfect movie. You'll join us upon completion!
3. ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIES - I have seen this movie multiple times and I was going through the charts today. I love this movie so much! Normally, I am emotional in all movies but this movie I cry every single time. I cried even just after watching the trailer. Amazing beautiful and just a well done movie.
4. FANTASTIC STORY - This movie is defiantly in my top . I've seen A LOT of movies and I've enjoyed many as well and this continues to surpass most of my favorites. Sandra Bullocks performance is spectacular I can't imagine anyone else playing that part especially that great. The way she portrays her character is astonishing, just wow! The relationship between the two is absolutely beautiful.
Release date: 1979-01-01 Genre:Drama $4.99
1. Fantastic!! - What a great, feel good movie! I remember seeing this as a kid when my dad was really into cycling, and just purchased. Easily a new favorite. Main character is a goof but extremely likable, and you can’t help but love the group of friends and even the parents. Seriously, well-made and has you rooting for him and cheering him on until the end!
Release date: 2009-04-21 Genre:Drama $4.99
1. WANT TO SEE A REAL DRAMA? - / The Wrestler is one of the most honest, genuine, and realistic movies I’v seen ever, period. It tells the heartbreaking tale of a New Jersey wrestler Randy, as he copes with his growing love for a stripper and his heart problems. He’s broke, so broke in fact that he can’t even pay for his trailer and has to go to pay phones every time he wants to make a call. When he has a heart attack after a match his doctor says he can’t wrestle anymore. So, with his career basically over, Randy tries to rekindle his relationship with his estranged daughter. Things don’t go very well. Im not going to spoil it for you because I think you should definatly see it. Darren Arronosky really shows the talents that have gained him a massive cult audience. Wonderful, wonderful movie.
2. Captivating - Mickey Rourke puts in the performance of a lifetime. The story of this tragically flawed hero is captivating and emotionally-charged. The documentary feel to the filmmaking is awesome, adding so much to the feel of the film. Impressively made and written. The lack of resolution is fitting, yet could have been a bit less melodramatic and provided some measure of finality to the story. Still, a really incredible movie that is a must see.
3. The accolades are deserved! - It's easy to garner so much praise on Mr. Rourke for this role. He is in every scene and doesn't waste a single one of them. Some of us remember him in Diner and Angel Heart and know what he's capable of... it came as no surprise. But there was a lot more to this film, including Mr. Aronofsky's direction, Marisa Tomei in her best performance ever (including My Cousin Vinny) and a stellar soundtrack. This movie should have done WAY better at the Oscars. Truly snubbed.
4. A - An emotional roller coaster set in a realistic and gritty world created by choice and cosequence. I loved this movie for it's substance and depth diquised in what SEEMS like a straight forward plot. Can't imagine anyone else pulling off this role as Rourke did. Too many people get stuck on aesthetics in movies. Look deeper and you'll discover what an emotional powerhouse of a movie this is and how Rourke absolutely nailed the role. As for the ending, good movies always leave some part to the imaginiation. Great, Great, Great, Great movie.
5. Darren Aronofsky Never Ceases to Amaze - I believe this is one of the greater films that comes along every years or so, because it is so unflinching, so phenomenal it really tugs at the heart strings as well as entertaining its audience. Mickey Rourke gives an amazing, Oscar-snubbed performance as an aging wrestler. The character (Randy "The Ram") is a tired, old man. He pops pills and is a regular down at the strip club. His estranged daughter (Evan Rachel Wood) probably hates him and his love life is built on trying to have a relationship with his stripper friend (Marisa Tomei). His degrading day job as a supermarket employee is only enough to help make rent and drug payments, but when he steps into the ring, the crowd cheering his name, his opponent's blood splattered on the floor, he feels alive and young. It's a heartbreaking performance by Rourke, but it's well worth watching. It's an embodiment of something Rourke himself has been; a broken shell of a man once at the top of his game, now lonely, dying, and lost. The direction, by Darren Aronofsky (who has become my very favorite director: Black Swan, Requiem for a Dream) is revolutionary. It's no fairy tale; Randy has to rebuild his life all on his own. And that's just fine with him.
6. Wrestling fans will love this movie! - Mostly wrestling fans & people with an open mind will appreciate what this movie has to offer. People who follow wrestling will understand the synopsis of The Wrestler! Mickey Rourke officially make his comeback! He gives an incredible performance! I love this film! It is said that this flick is based on Jake "The Snake" Roberts. The only thing missing was the snake so I could see the similarities. Wrestling is Randy's whole life so the ending makes sense. It will make you remember long after the credits finish rolling!
7. WOW Mickey Rorke turns in a solid Winner - I have followed Mickey Rourke for a very long time, many had had written him off as finished. I have no doubt that Mickey (like many of us)
has gone down some wrong roads and some paths that should have been avoided. Mr. Rourke was a good friend of Tupac Shakur he visited him in jail and they spent time over seas together. Mickey is a " for real dude " that means take him or leave him you get what you see. I would be remiss if I did not go back to The Pope of Greenwich Village, at the time I though this to be among Mickey's best. I would have to correct myself and say that the Wrestler is by far the best, as you watch this great piece of cinamatography it is as though you are living the experience with Mickey, his portrayal is so " dead on " you get the feeling that he is truly pouring every bit of his life's experience into the character, at times it is difficult to discern the separation of Randy ( the character ) from Mickey. I believe every up and mostly the downs that he encounters in this film reflect actual obstacles he has had to encounter. This film is dark and at the same time gives the viewer a keen insight into the unseen side of professional wrestling, the guys that are not the Superstars and the remains of physical abuse and mental anguish. If you are suimish and deplore violence don't watch this one, however if you want to still be saying to yourself Wow what a film minutes after it has gone off this is the one. Oh yeah The Boss Bruce Springsteen brings added value to an already work of genuis and a masterpiece of acting. Great ensemble cast too. Well worth the watch. Mickey you deserve the acculades...
8. It's All About the Game and How You Play It - Anyone who expected the campiness of "Ready to Rumble" is going to be disappointed from watching this film. This film takes a gritty, hard-nosed look at life from the perspective of an independent wrestler. The story's main character is the most human portrayal of a wrestler that I have ever seen on film, up to this point. Mickey Rourke is amazing. Marisa Tomei doesn't look like she has aged a day since "My Cousin Vinny".
9. Wrestling with yourself - A buddy and I were recently talking about 's actors and what had happened to them. Of course, Mickey Rourke's name came up. He was one of the memorable faces on the silver screen along side some of the hottest actresses of the time. I remember his young mug in, The Pope of Greenwich Village with Daryl Hannah and Eric Roberts. Then all of a sudden off the radar. Once in a while you'ld hear a rumour of him boxing, but, no acting. The Wrestler marks his comeback back to the silver screen. He is conflicted as only an artist of his stature can be. The movie is about the human tragedy of aging. Of realizing that life is short and that one must make the best of it at all times. This movie is a must see especially if you want be taken for a ride inside the human element were life meets reality. Mickey Rourke hits gold in this movie he is the star we remember him to be but all grown up.
10. Words Can't Describe!! - This movie blew my mind away! This movie exceeded my expectations in every way possible! The acting is done tremendously, and it feels so real you can put yourself right into the movie! Definitely will play with your emotions; one moment you're on the edge of your seat during a brutal wrestling match, and the next moment you feel extremely depressed for the main character...Must watch for any movie lover! One of the best movies by far in the past few years!
11. One of the best movies ever - This Film has introduced me to Mickey Rourke. Besides the cool name, he made this movie. Either this film was based on him, or whatever, he totally deserved his Golden Globe award for this. Having Sean Penn win for Milk, he did an excellent job, and always makes me see his movies, but I truly think it was both of them who did the best. YOu cant say this movie, or this movie is better than This movie, theyre all good. And they always will for years and years to come. they'll always be spectacular and what movies are all about.
12. The Wrestler - Tedious - I download this movie to watch on the airplane and found myself looking out the window more than watching the movie. The script was quite tedious and I found myself bored through most of the movie. The action was slow, the intelligence level was low, and the people were boring.
Release date: 2011-09-23 Genre:Drama $14.99
1. An Enthralling Subversion Of Sports Movies - Despite being a little bloated, Moneyball is a fantastic entry in sports cinema led by gorgeous direction from Bennett Miller, a witty script from Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin, and unforgettable performances from Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill. Moneyball succeeds not only as a thrilling sports flick, but also as a quiet character study of a man whose own playing career was disastrous, trying to change the game of baseball in order for his own low-market team to succeed and be a good role model for his daughter.
2. Great - This was great movie. The acting was great. It showed a great story and all. It showed the building of a team with low end players that won games in a row. Made the playoffs but is still looking to win a World Series. Just so you know this is a true story. This really did happen and it might be happening today.
3. Movie for anyone who doesn’t “fit in" - Great as a baseball movie. Even better for inspiration. As the movie shows, A’s GM Beane was reviled and derided for his decision to go down a different path from all the baseball “experts”. The low-budget A’s team of no-name and over-the-hill players set the AL record with their -game win streak in . (On the other hand, if Beane hadn’t revealed his methods to Michael Lewis for his book, the A’s might have advanced further in the playoffs….)
4. An Excellent Portrayal - I didn’t know what to expect. I was bored, and not even an overt fan of baseball. I looked at the critics, and consumer reviews, watched the trailers, then figured I would check it out. The story was well told, and the pace kept me interested. I really enjoyed the movie, and highly recommend it. In short, this movies tells a story that transcends it beyond being a “baseball” story. It’s a must watch.
5. Truly Amazing - This movie was on my "to watch" list since it was released in theaters, but i finally came to watching it today. I can honestly say that this movie was truly amazing! Everything was so well coordinated and perfectly matched. From the cinematography to the music, it all matches so perfectly well in the film that you can practically feel it! The actors were on it! They were able to convince me that their emotions were real. Such a realistic and touching film!
6. Baseball business & great at that! - Not much baseball, but a lot of time about personal interactions and putting together a winning team -- and a novel way of doing it. Heavy on dialogue so kids may get impatient, but this is very well done and Pitt makes one think he is a real general manager. Five stars is my rating and I am not a baseball fan!
7. Literally my favorite movie of all time. - I am absolutely in love with everything about this movie. I sometimes watch it or times in a row, because it is that good. Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill are a dynamic duo, casting for this film couldn't have been any better. Kerris Dorsey's cover of "The Show" continues to give me chills even after all these views. Whether or not you are a baseball freak like me, this movie is a must see. P.S. - you don't have to pay $. to download! You can get SD for nearly half that.
8. GREAT MOVIE OAKLAND A's BABY!! - Love the A's I was fortunate to experience that game win streak!! Scott Hatteberg Eric Chavez Miguel Tejada Terrence Long Jermaine Dye Hudson Zito Murder was incredible!!! A lot more A's baseball in the future movie was awesome for a baseball movie took my girlfriend she fell in love with the A's after watching this movie lowest payroll in the majors but one of the best teams!! A'mazing!!
Release date: 2000-08-25 Genre:Comedy $14.99
1. Decent - For a movie crammed with sex jokes and innuendo, I found this movie to honestly be pretty good. The acting is solid, all the characters, while suffering from 's teen movie cliches, are pretty likable (except for the stereotypical douchey boyfriend) and the ending is a bit come out of nowhere. The only thing I wish this movie would've done differently would be to put a little more focus on Gabrielle Union's character, as well as her squad. They're supposed to be the main rivals, I get that, but they were so likable even though we barely see them in this.
2. finally on itunes....i have been waiting patiently!!! - It's hard to believe this came out ten years ago...I was a teenager and the memories I had from watching this are amazing! It was definitely one of the best flicks of that year! To me, this is one of the new teen classics that I truly enjoyed. It always manages to make me smile like Clueless Breakfast Club, Legally blonde, and Mean Girls.
3. A cheery, above average teen flick - This movie came out when I was a teenager, and I loved it from the beginning. Now that I'm almost , it still feels like a semi-classic, and it never fails to make me smile. This was a fantastic role for Kirsten Dunst - she is about as charming and fun as she can possibly be, and the entire movie is funny. Aside from a few too many homosexual jokes and dirty language, it's definitely above average in terms of teen movies. The dancing is fun to watch, the music is catchy, and the performances are great, especially from Dunst, Eliza Dushku, and Gabrielle Union. Excellent choice to add to your iPod if you enjoy comedies!
Release date: 1976-12-03 Genre:Drama $6.99
1. Christmas Classic - I was reminded of Rocky when it appeared on a list of low-budget classic films. The story follows the heros' journey of a sweet natured working class boxer from Thanksgiving through The Years' during the bi-centennial. Themes of Patriotism, Holiday Lonliness, Perserverance and Romantic and Family Love are explored with tenderness. Stallone is one of the rare stars to have been Oscar nominated for both Best Actor and Best Screenwriter. Yes, watch It's a Wonderful Life.. and then watch Rocky.. It's a movie the whole family can enjoy.
2. An inspiration to all. - I live a simple life. I wake up, I go to school, I come home, do homework, go to bed, and it starts all over again. I live a routine kind of a life. I’m just a kid; what can I do to change a thing about it? Then, I see movies like Rocky. They prove to me that even though I’m just a nobody, even though I don’t really think I can change much, an ordinary guy like me can make something more out of myself then I already am. Rocky was just another bun in the slums of Philadelphia. He was a one in a thousand shot, and he took that shot, that chance, and rode it to a better life. Through hard work and passion, Rocky made himself better than he was; he took the reins and turned his life around. A story like that can’t help but make me feel that I can do the same, and with that inspiration, maybe I can change. Anyone can. This movie truly is, or at least should be, an inspiration to all.
3. A 'Rocky' road to victory (dabbing). - Before Sylvester Stallone became a very popular action star, he received Oscar nominations and much praise for this Best Picture-winning film. Its one of the greatest sports stories ever told, with a fantastic storyline, amazing acting and very nostalgic music. What made it so good was that it seemed believable enough to happen in real life! To see the pain and rise of Rocky Balboa... The story of how 'Rocky' got made is even more sad yet still uplifting and believable: Sly was just a poor man, with only a dog to take care of, who he had to give back to the pet store. With nothing left, After he pitched and sold his movie idea. After signing on, he had enough money to get his dog back. He became a household name overnight and became one of the greatest actors, both drama and action, of the next couple decades.
Check it out. Unbelievable movie.
4. BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!! - Rocky is by far one of my most favorite movies if not the most favorite I have ever seen and undoubtedly will ever see. The most incredibly made southpaw underdog boxing story ever made, with a well-developed romance woven into it. If you don't like this movie I don't know how anyone could ever like you. BEST MOVIE EVER!!!
5. Classic Boxing Movie - This show is great because apollo creed give a snow white underdog an oppurtunity for the heavyweight champion of the world. Rocky Balboa(sylvester stallone) trains with determination and confidence to prepare himself for the most important fight of his life. This is the best of the Rocky movies(even though those are amazing too; exept which ruined the series) simply because it started it all and Rocky Balboa looks back on this one in some sort of way in Rocky II, III, and IV. This is the first movie you should watch of the series just so that you understand the background story.
Release date: 2006-08-04 Genre:Comedy $12.99
1. Shake and bake - Hey y’all I’m huge Will Ferrell fan Will Ferrell he’s the best best best actor ever Will Ferrell you are the amazing best actor great job for this movie Will Ferrell you know John C. Reilly I remember you guys from the Step Brothers Talladega nights Balled of Ricky Bobby and The other Guys I watched the movie about times I love your movies Will Ferrell I have crush on you I remember John C. Reilly saying the shake and bake that’s my favorite part of this movie Shake and Bake
2. Absolutely Hilarious - This is a great movie if you need a laugh it has a lot of slapstick combined with a very silly humor that you can’t help but chuckle at even if you don’t like stupid humor this will brighten your day. However I would say that this is more mature humor not for audiences under .
Release date: 1995-01-06 $14.99
1. Great movie - One of those movies you forget and rediscover, thanks for bringing it back. Silly jokes that still makes you laugh out loud. Thank god for the villains that aren’t so bad. Everyone is nice. I could watch this with my kids. Breath of fresh air in the age of transformers. Now if we can get a good remake of Lassie...
Release date: 1989-04-07 Genre:Comedy $14.99
1. Classic!! - When I saw Charlie Sheen and Tom Berenger were going to be starring in the same movie I knew it would be great! The phrase “Just a bit outside” was made possible thanks to this movie. Please get a K Dolby Vision & Folby Atmos release with perhaps an uncut version and I will buy it. This movie is so funny and everyone fits perfectly together.
2. Great movie! - This is a great movie! I watch it on TV all the time. I looked it up on iTunes but I can only rent. Dear Apple, Make a change, make it buy able. I will make bumper stickers and tee shirts if I have to. Please change Apple make it buy able because custom tee shirts are expensive, Thank you and good night San Diego!
3. hmmm - it would be good for business if this movie would be available to buy for . because people would pay that much to own it. I refuse to rent it when i can pirate my own copy and sacrifice the quality to own it. It cheats not only the movie's profit dollars but the customers' satisfaction. Hope this helps make a change so people can own a great movie..
4. Stop writing requests in your reviews - Can all you people please stop writing requests for Apple to make this movie buyable on the reviews. Do some research; it's not Apple's decision, it's the movie studio's! Don't you think Apple would love to sell you anything they can? Wake up. You can't buy this on Blockbuster online, either, so stop wasting space here and write to the damn studio!
Release date: 1979-06-15 Genre:Drama $6.99
1. The story continues... - Rocky was a huge hit, but the huge question is "Is it better or worse than it's predecessor?" Rocky II begins where the first left off, Rocky goes to a hospital after his fight with Apollo and Apollo demands a rematch. But Rocky turns his back on boxing to marry Adrian. And then he goes on a shopping spree, buying a car, a coat, and watches... even a house! But it eventually comes to an end and Rocky has to get a job. He tries a commercial actor, a meat-packer, and an office job. But nothing works. Rocky decides to go back to boxing and begins to train, but while doing this Adrian falls into a comma while having their baby, all this distracts Rocky from his training. And I'm not going to give much more away. Rocky II features a re-hash of the first montage that has rocky running up the rocky steps. Only this time, hundreds of kids are chasing him. The actors are great and it has a better feel than the first. The atmosphere has improved and if you don't like this... I'm still not talking to you.
2. Pretty good, definitely better than the other sequels... - I agree that of all the Rocky sequels, this one is by far the best. Character development and a pretty strong story outweigh the somewhat less-inspired fight scene, which began the trend of increasingly non-believable, WWE-style fight sequences as the series progressed, culminating in the most ridiculous of all, Rocky V. The final chapter, "Rocky Balboa", is a definite return to the series' roots, and is a strong competitor to "Rocky II" as the best Rocky sequel. Though it's not as good as the first (they never are), this is a good one, and still as uplifting after the tenth or twentieth viewing as the first.
3. Yo, Adrian! I Did It!...Kind Of - The first Rocky movie left too much open for there not to be an inevitable sequel. Rocky II is very underrated, and I think it's the best one out of every single Rocky movie, although most people will probably disagree with me on that. Rocky, who got severely bad brain damage from the fight in the last movie, is rushed to the hospital for treatment. There, he learns that he has a detatched retina (An eye problem). After leaving, he gets married to Adrian. Rocky then begins to blow all of the money he got from the fight on several items like cars or two-story houses. He then applies for TV commercials, but that doesn't turn out that well. Due to his lack of money or education, he has to work at a meat packing plant. Meanwhile, Creed, the opponent from the last movie is receiving hate mail from his fans and is forced to fight Rocky again. Rocky trains again and blah, blah, blah... It sort of follows the same formula as the last movie, but for some reason, I liked it better. I don't know what it was that I liked better about this one. Maybe it was the plotline, maybe it was the way it ended, maybe it's because it's one minute shorter than the last movie was. All I know is that Rocky II is a pure delight. Buy it, and you most likely won't be disappointed.
4. A Rare Sequel That Is As Good As It's Predecessor... - Rocky II is actually my favorite Rocky movie. I love the fact that we get to concentrate on the characters in this one and that we get to see how great of a person Rocky is as well as how much he kicks butt in the ring! All the peeps are back for this movie and the score is just as amazing as it is in Rocky! Super-Fly TNT Fuh Sho!