Release date: 2022-11-18 Genre:Drama $19.99
Release date: 2002-01-01 Genre:Drama $4.99
Release date: 2022-10-28 Genre:Thriller $19.99
1. Excellent Eye Opening Thriller - Memorable film about corruption, misogyny, religion and politics in a conservative Muslim country. The female journalist is very well portrayed: passionate yet prone to do stupid things in the name of justice. She has her own form of zealotry and you don’t always root for her. The director reveals the killer’s identity early on which kills the thrill a bit, but you see him at home and work (being normal), then of course, at night, being abhorrent. You must see this film! Grade:
Release date: 1998-10-23 Genre:Comedy $4.99
Release date: 2023-02-10 Genre:Horror $12.99
Release date: 1990-02-23 Genre:Romance $4.99
1. Greatest Movie Ever - “whatever you end up doing, love it”
What an amazing! Beautiful! Loving film. Rewatched for the first time in awhile and it just grabs you and holds you! You will laugh, cry and cheer! Movies don’t get better than this.
Pure perfecting From the Acting The directing The story The characters And that amazing beautiful score by Ennio..
Release date: 2021-03-02 Genre:Horror $4.99
1. Intelligent Horror - This is a beautiful film which has the myth of La Llorona at its root. It is so cleverly told that you will be as pleasantly surprised as I was to how it folds the story into its political narrative. Don't miss this one espcially if you are looking for a more intelligent horror film. It is not heavy on gore or jump scares, but rather the horror and impact of genocide on innocent victims. Overall and excellent and artful film.
2. This is NOT that stupid Conjuring spin-off movie - This film isn’t the one you probably assume it is — the one that came out over a year ago and bombed terribly because it was nothing but a low effort movie trying to make money off of its extremely vague & tenuous connection to the two “The Conjuring” movies — yeah, this isn’t that movie. What is this movie about then, you ask? Well, why give away the fun when you can go in blind, not knowing a thing about it, and be pleasantly surprised at its quality. Not just “for a Horror movie,” either. I mean this movie is well made and the screenplay is fiendishly creative. I expect most Horror fans to be impressed by this one, but of course there will always be some “horror fans” who bash anything that isn’t a Conjuring movie, (they think those movies are actually good lol). Then there are a few people who want to turn their brains off and watch random female nudity, lots of blood, and a jump “scare” (or “twist”) every seconds — so in other words: they don’t want to be surprised, or be challenged by a story that’s original enough to keep them from predicting where it’s going etc. SO, are you interested in watching a genuinely creepy film with an original premise? Can you speak Spanish? If not, then can you read this review I’m writing in English? Great! That means you have zero excuses for not checking this one out. Cheers.
Release date: 2022-09-23 Genre:Drama $6.99
Release date: 2019-10-06 $9.99
1. DO NOT BUY THROUGH ITUNES - I don’t know how iTunes/Apple gets away with selling edited/censored films without telling you that fact. It’s listed as Unrated, which I understand is different than censored, but whole scenes are removed, others are shortened and blurred. The movie is a great movie, definitely worth watching, but you’re better off buying it through other retailers.
Release date: 2022-12-23 Genre:Drama $14.99
1. Beautiful brilliant never boring film - Saw this for free so wasn’t expecting much. Trailer seemed unfocused and left me saying, “Meh…” but after watching it, I was so enraptured and impressed by the lead, Vicky Krieps, and director Marie Kreutzer I’m definitely going to be adding Corsage to my iTunes library. Really unique film that doesn’t care for historical accuracy, and that’s a good thing. Just a free and wonderful breath of cinematic fresh air. I love it and you will too. Bravo cast and crew of Corsage…Bravo!
Release date: 2022-10-14 Genre:Thriller $13.99
1. Please dub foreign movies - Film is a visual medium. You’re supposed to be engrossed in the world before you, to empathize with characters through facial and verbal tones in voice inflections, instead you stare at words on screen & basically read a novel. Defeated the entire purpose of film as sn art form.
Release date: 2000-12-08 Genre:Action & Adventure $14.99
1. The gold standard of modern martial arts films - This movie raised the bar and set the standard for modern martial arts films.Beautiful cinematography, excellent story, riding, and acting. Excellent cast. Not to mention, some of the best and most beautiful, awesomely done fighting choreography and fight scenes. This is a must have for any fan of modern martial arts films.
2. Stunning action scenes very well chorographed - Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is the stuff of legneds it has brilliant set pieces, well shot action scenes that are beautiful to see through. All of the performence from the actor were fantastic and the movie feels geniune, well-written and over the top gorgeous. I highly recommend Chrouching Tiger it's such a beautiful film with stunning cinemtopgraphy and action scenes don't miss it.
3. Visual feast - This film is a fairy tale for adults. A visual feast, with not one, but two pairs of star-crossed lovers, a period drama that acknowledges China's ethnic diversity, and engages with career in government and in martial arts both, as a morally fraught ventures. It speaks to the conflict between the necessity of being pragmatic and grounded and the need to dream. It is relevant in how it addresses women's lot in society, with three lead female characters transgressing the socially acceptable roles in different ways. In fact the whole drama results from the female leads' refusal to accept their assigned roles. If there are flaws, it might be the fact that it's all too beautiful. No ugly crying here.
4. The film with everything - By far, one of the best films ever made! This film has it all.....intrigue, suspense, love, betrayal, inspiration and mystery. Filmed in some of the most beautiful places on the planet also. The emotion portrayed by the actors and actresses in this movie is incredibly powerful, especially at the climax of the movie. You will want to watch this movie again and again.
5. No English . Dolby Digital - This is a fabulous film which we already owned in DVD. The DVD version has English . Dolby Digital. This was not your slap dash dubbing. They used the original actors and spent a lot of time and money to get the dubbing perfect. We wanted a digital version of this film. However, this digital version does not include the English . Dolby Digital track. That's the reason we've given it stars. Provide the additional track and we'll change our rating to stars.
6. EarleO. - Hmmm...considering it is a Foreign Film, I would expect it to be subtitled. I have also seen the dubbed version and there just feels like something is quite lost in the dialogue. Look beyond the fight scenes and combat and you will see one of the great love stories. The quiet and simple scene with Chow Yun Fat and Michelle Yeoh drinking tea is my favorite in the movie. When you see it, you'll understand. Just an amazing film and one of my favorites of all time.
7. It is totally misleading!!! It's in Chinese with English subtitles!!!!! - I spent almost $ on a movie which was supposed to be in English. It was a gift for someone. And I realise when I presented the gift that its in Chinese. Not only its embarrassing. I don't know how to get refund on this misleading info. Pls help Apple if you are reading this and get it in English. Thank you
8. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - This film came out when I was and I LOVED it then. Now that I am and can understand the story more I LOVE it even more! The fights are truly beautiful. The costumes are great. The acting is top notch! And I must say Michelle Yoeu is stunning and so strong in this film. Buy it or rent it you won't be disappointed. It is subtitled but it's okay it makes the movie that much more real. :)
9. Truly a beautiful love story... - This movie is so moving. The fight scenes, the scenery, the special effects, the dialogue and the acting allow you to understand each character and their motives, flaws and desires. I look forward to the HD release of this movie (hint - hint, mr. "movie to HD movie" guys) :)
10. Magical surreal gem! - Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is one of the best of films of all time. It is a magical, surreal gem that finely balances the unbelievable with a superb and talented cast of actors and artists. The night fight scene alone can be considered one of the best action scenes - that showcases the incredible artist abilities of Ziyi Zhang and the capable emotional range of Michelle Yeoh. Adding Tan Duns sublime score with Master celloist YoYo Ma makes this a must see film for any action / kung fu fan who is looking for something with more of a bite then what is normally provided in this genre.
11. Amazing - I downloaded the dubbed version on my computer and this version (subtitles) on my iPod and I must say that I like the subtitle version better, but anyway great movie tricky to understand but not impossible as long as you pay attention, but if your looking for nonstop action look elsewhere, it's put under drama for a reason
12. Never mind the martial arts - The first time I saw this I loved it and was saddened that some didn't seem to get the symbolism captured by the exaggerated martial arts, but thought it a little long. Then I saw it again with a girlfriend who commented afterwards (with teary eyes) that it was the most beautiful movie she had ever seen. And then I thought, yeah, that probably was the most beautiful story I've ever seen. And then I saw it again and I liked it even more observing nuances I had missed the first two times. And then I saw it again in a bar with no sound and couldn't take my eyes off it and said, that's mesmerizing even without sound. And then I saw it dubbed (yuck) instead of with subtitles and by golly they even did a great job with the dubbing (surely a first). I believe that this movie is one of the greatest movies ever made in the same league as The Sound of Music or Gone with the Wind. Must be seen on the biggest screen possible, ideally uninterrupted, and more than once.
13. WORST. MOVIE. EVER. - this must have been the absolute worst movie i have ever seen. the action was terrible. the acting was terrible. the martial arts was just plain crap. its hard to watch this movie with out bursting out laughing or wanting to smash your head into a wall. not worth a penny or moment of your time.
14. What? - That's what I kept saying to myself as I watched this thing when it came out. "What's the big deal with this?" Uh, these people can fly. Right... In Peter Pan, the people can fly- heck, they even got a big shaggy dog airborn. Plus, there was sword fighting, so why aren't people soiling themselves over that one?? I'm all for Suspension of Disbeief, but this is just another marshal arts flick where the bad guys wait politely to come at the hero one at a time. Worth every penny of the . rental, but no more.
15. A must see!!!!! - This is trully an amazing movie. The soundtrack, acting and fight scenes are really amazing. The story is actually more involving than the fight sequences. Best martial art film i have ever seen. The subtitles in my opinion make it better (more authentic). I advice people to watch this movie.
16. Great movie, but not good for the Ipod - Don't get me wrong, this is an absolutely amazing movie, but there is no way it would ever work on your ipod. Every time I watch this, it's in chinese with english subs, but on the inch screen of an Ipod, subtitles would be really frustrating to try to read the whole movie. As it stands, the audio in the Itunes version is in english. English voicing sounds incredibly bad, and blatantly british at some points. If you can overlook the audio, It's an absolutely superb movie, but if you're bothered by that sort of stuff, I would spare myself the frustration.
17. Great movie!!! - To tell you the truth.... I hate martial arts movies... but my brother made me sit down and watch it and I fell in love with this one! It's not one of those fake, cheezy action movies that you end up laughing at. It actually has alot of action and has a good story line. So if you don't like martial arts movies... don't judge this movie by its cover... you should actually watch it.
Release date: 2022-10-07 Genre:Drama $14.99
Release date: 2020-02-14 Genre:Romance $4.99
1. Mesmerizing. Touching. Beauty inside and out! - This is perhaps the best movie I have ever seen. And not sure any other will overtake this from the perch of my list any time soon. Celine is a genius director and writer who understands that subtlety can be truly sublime. Noemei Merlant is so unique in her grace, intelligence & perceptive kindness that I am not sure anyone else could have done justice to Marianne’s character as well as she has. Adele Haenel was equally fantastic in portraying Heloise - charming, free spirited and rebellious! The chemistry between them is so great filled with moments of joy, pain and everything in between including that of an indescribable sense of deep care for each other. It’s absolutely a travesty that this move wasn’t sent for Oscar nominations. But it is Oscar’s loss. This movie is that great!
2. Phenomenal! - This movie has been one of the best I have ever seen. Beautifully crafted by the director and writer. It captures you and takes you in. It’s amazing, you see the chemistry between the women. Makes you fall in love and be in the moment. It’s a great masterpiece! Bravo! it! Great job!
3. Breathtakingly lush masterwork - I cannot stop thinking about this incredible film. It is gorgeous, romantic, inspiring, bittersweet, and damned powerful. It also features some of the best use of music I’ve seen in a film. Music is purposefully scarce throughout the picture, and you’ll understand why once you see it. The final scene is breathtaking. This is one of the very best movies of last year.
4. I’m bored. - This movie is large, airy, and feels empty. The characterization, plot points, and the storylines are very drawn out, and the setting and cinematography aren’t interesting at all.
I love romantic period dramas, and I dearly appreciate the representation of lesbian relationships in this drama, so I’m rating it two stars.
5. A Wonderful Movie - This film is so luminous. Every part of it's construction is near perfect. From a brilliant screenplay to brilliant acting, cinematography that is so beautiful that many shots look like Old Master's paintings come to life... Edited perfectly; I cannot recommend this film masterpiece strongly enough. I loved this film
6. Sensational. Breathtaking. Masterpiece. - Completely in love with this movie. Never have I been so moved and in awe with a film. It’s both heartwarming and heartbreaking. When it ended, I was left stunned in my seat trying to process the ending and I couldn’t stop thinking about the movie for many days. I had to rewatch it the next evening. The emotions the movie left me with stayed with me for days and it left me feeling like I had my own heart broken. Genius work of art by Celine Sciamma and infinite praises to Noémie Merlant and Adèle Haenel for their stunning portrayals.
7. One of the best movies ever made - I don’t usually write movie reviews but I’ll make an exception with this one. Everything about it was so magnificent, from the screenplay to the actions. The cinematography was very beautiful. The acting was very convincing. The lack of music gave the movie a sense of realism. There was no music to guide the way we feel about certain events, which reflects real life. We, as viewers, are left to our own experiences to relate to what happens on screen. We are left to imagine being in their place to get a feel for what’s going on, and that’s beautiful. We get to form our own opinions. Overall, this movie was very well done. It is something that one can end up thinking about days after watching it. It does take a few times of watching it to completely understand it and relate to it.
8. Brilliant - This movie was beautifully done. So glad it wasn’t dummied down to appeal to the masses. Historically women have been used and abused by knuckle draggers and religious zealots. This indentured servitude has through the years kept women from fully discovering their full potential. Women are waking up to the realization that they no longer have to buy into this patriarchal system. Their happiness and sanity is dependent on their freedom from men not their servitude.
9. A brave and self-assured masterpiece - Without question, one of the finest and most inspired films I have ever had the privilege to see. Remarkable, unsentimental storytelling, haunting soundtrack (when there was music), and stunning cinematography... and deeply moving in a way that really stuck with me for weeks now. Thank you iTunes for releasing this months before the Criterion release!
10. A True Masterpiece - I saw this two nights in a row in the theater, before the theaters closed. It’s one of the most beautifully shot movies, layered movies I’ve ever seen. It’s in my top favorite films. I read the story of Orpheus and Eurydice before my second viewing, as the movie references it in many, significant ways. I got so much more out of the film the second time.
11. All around beautiful. - Adèle Haenel and Noémie Merlant have brilliant performances. Gorgeous aesthetic and a story that will stay in your heart forever. A collaboration between three wildly talented women - a story about women, for women and made by women - it is truly a masterpiece. Merci Céline, Adèle and Noémie for this incredible gift to the world.
12. A masterpiece - This movie is cinema perfection. Noemie Merlant and Adele Haenel have an undeniable chemistry and the talent to match. This slow burn is brilliantly written and the cinematography is absolute perfection. The ending shot is cinematic history. All of that and Portrait of a Lady on Fire absolutely stole my heart.
13. An Utterly Flawless Work of Fine Art - This movie will shatter you, then rebuild the scattered pieces into an altogether more beautiful, more loving, more refined human being. More attuned to emotional depth and feeling than previously thought possible. This movie will make you firmly believe in the possibility of an unbridled love so vivid and pure, that you will understand you have waited your entire life to experience a love as such. Believe it. Chase it. Life is too short to live with our hearts and minds closed. Open them up and let this movie take you. This movie comes with the highest recommendation.
Release date: 2020-12-04 $4.99
1. SUPERB - Superb actors, script and editing. One of the best movies I have seen in a very long time. There are so many layers to this movie, it will make you think about your own life. My hope is that Americans don't ruin it in making it in an american version. I just rewatched the Danish ORIGINAL movie "After the Wedding" directed by Suzanne Bier and again it was hijacked by Americans and watered down into cliches. Pfffff. Don't settle for less, people!
2. Relatable and Timely - Here’s to “Another Round” of realism on film. This is a movie that takes one through the many complexities of everyday life; particularly related to close, life-long friendships and alcohol consumption. I found this film to be relatable and timely. I would recommend to others.
Release date: 2016-09-30 $14.99
1. "I laughed, I cried, it moved me, Bob" - I've never watched a film with as much emotional breadth and depth as this. It is hilarious, tragic, and insightful. Jimmy V could accomplish all three of his daily goals just by watching this movie: it invites you to laugh, to think, and to let your emotions bring you to tears. Be prepared for a substantial experience far beyond your typical cinematic amusement.
2. WaytogoSweden - It is good to see such a touching, real people movie still can be made. Sweden has mixed internationalism and modern Sweden in a real life touching story. Touched my heart - I was born and raised in Sweden half a century ago and this movie is worth watching anywhere in the world. It will touch anyone anywhere and the actors are great
3. Yes, A Love Story about Love - You have characters, a plot that envelopes you with comedic and tragic touches, and performances that endear you. It's a terrific story of a romance of life, where common events crisscross with traumatic moments. You live life or you die, says one character. Lessons of love everywhere, old fashion kindnesses and friendships, too. This is a film you'll keep in memory. It is brimming with love.
4. Outstanding Movie! - This is a fantastic movie. Yes it is a foreign movie & yes it is subtitled. I say this not as a complaint but so those reading will know. With that said this is a very well acted movie with a great story. It is not your typical American drop an f-bomb a minute movie. This is a movie that you can watch with the whole family. I love foreign movies. Watch this & enjoy.
5. I love OVE ! - I read the book first and I Absolutely love the Movie just as much . It was nice to have faces with the characters. Fantastic acting and I Love the story ... I laughed and cried Fredrick Backman is Officially my Favorite! If you have not had the pleasure of reading " My grandma wanted me to tell you she's sorry " it's another Great one . Thanks
6. A foreign film in a language ALL can understand - Writing this review through my tears....happy tears. This is just the movie the world needs to see right now. We can't do anything alone, we need eachother, we're all connected. So very well written, not once could I predict what was going to happen next. A dark comedy that somehow makes you laugh even during the situations that most would consider to be sad. The next time you run across a person like "Ove"....think twice before you judge. Even those that are hard to love, when given a chance... are the easiest to love.
7. Love Integrity Family Duty Ove - I adored this movie! Movie made me laugh a lot! Movie made me cry. And cheer. And scratch my head and wonder "why?" Movie follows this old man around and we get to peek into a life well lived. It's a good story casted & filmed well. I recommend this movie for family night!
8. It's pronounced Oh-vey - This is one of my favorite books and easily one of my favorite adaptations to date. A story of this grumpy old man, who finds himself helping others in the unlikeliest of times. Making friends and fighting the "white shirts" along the way, Ove is the man we all wish we had in our lives. Grab some tissues, there will be tears.
Release date: 2022-06-17 Genre:Comedy $9.99
Release date: 2019-09-13 Genre:Drama $4.99
Release date: 2008-06-17 Genre:Drama $14.99
1. Great movie with good cultural perspective plus English subtitles - Though I've learned Spanish and am continuing to learn it having English Subtitles helps. Having watched this film as a requirement for my Graduate program this movie told a story that is real. Parents, as demostrated by this film, cross the border with the goal (some/most of the time) of providing a better life for their families at the expense of leaving their children with a sense of abandonment. Does this mean they don't care? I don't think so. This film reviews an ethical dilemma of is it best to travel somewhere with more financial opportunity and leave my child behind? Should I immigrate legally and wait years before becoming a citizen? Should I take my child along with me and risk losing them along the way due to the dangers? Great film that can open yours eyes to other experiences than what you hear about on the news.
2. UGGGGGG…….. - / I haven’t felt this manipulated after seeing a movie since “Empire of The Sun”, and that’s saying something. This movie was so contrived, so simplistic, so one dimensional that it was almost hilarious!!! Seriously, a movie about the tough and brutal journeys that some illegal immigrants make is funny!!! What happened?
% of the characters are one dimensional. The only one that seems to have an arc is Enrique, and him being the generic lone wolf type I could see his character arc from miles away. Carlos and his Mom are two of the most uninteresting characters in recent memory, both are the % perfect heroes who fight against the bad bad white people who want to take them away from each other. Come on movie! Stop being so one minded!
All that aside, this movie has good intentions. I give it that, a least. This movie has five stars on iTunes, I know. Just, save yourself some time and don’t see it.
Also, what the hell was up with the fact that both the mom and the son decided to jump ship in the exact same week??? I don’t know, but I think that might be the most coincidental moment in cinematic history!!!!
3. A MUST WATCH MOVIE !!! - Loved loved loved this movie ... Watched it with my whole family by the end of the movie your sitting on the edge of your seat at the end of the movie your blowing your nose and crying "one of those ugly cries" I'm not into politics but immigration reform becomes a topic you really want to know more about after watching the movie !!!
4. You WILL cry like a little girl & love it. - Eugnio Derbez & Kate del Castillo were amazing, but nothing compared to the little boy, i fell in love with him, his character everything! The circumstances of his journey may be based in something very real but portrayed very unrealistic, the truth is many younger children, pregnant women, older folk that have crossed the border… probably more than half, die, or get "lost" forever. This movie gives all immigrants, latino or asian.. whatever.. hope that one day that invisible border that keeps us away from our loved ones will soon come down. So don't get too into the details… this is a HOPE movie, enjoy it and let it sink in.
5. Beautiful - I first watched this movie for a class, and fell in love with it. Now my favorite movie of all time, i have watched and rewatched it on my own. perfect balance of funny, touching, sad, beautiful, and makes you want to cry with tears of sadness and laughter. Over all I recommend this movie to everyone from anywhere in the world and anyone who likes great films. Truly amazing.
6. La Misma Luna (GREAT!) - If someone wants to tell you this movie is not good because the main character breaks a very important law, ignore them. This is a great movie because it has good music, and a VERY good ending. I watched the end times at least. The walk sign, the music, everything in that part was excellent. Bravo!
7. The Greatest Movie of All Time - Well for starters I first saw this movie in my Spanish class & honestly iThought this movie was going to be just lame and boring. But once I started watching it and paying close attention this movie really caught my heart. That's amazing how the story of the movie equates to each characters emotion. Great Job !
8. great movie! - this movie is one of my favorite movies!!! i love it so much! it really shows what immagrants have to do...sometimes they have to leave to get a better life and they risk never seeing there family again and they also have the risk of being killed from trying to get across... its a hard life for them... but this movie shows that. its a very good movie!
9. Heartwarming film, but way too unrealistic.... - Me and my my mom watched this film together because she, a Guatemalan immigrant who left her year old son (my half brother) in Guatemala for several years in the care of her cousin, felt that she could relate to it. While the film was really good (great preformances and a very heartwarming plot), the film was way too unrealistic. My mom was actually a bit mad about how unrealistic this film was. When I say it was unrealistic, I don't mean the portions of the film that clearly wouldn't happen to anyone (such as finiding the street corner), but the unrealistic portrayal of other events such as the "ease" that carlos had crossing the border (clearly it wasn't easy in the film, but compared to the reality of illegal immigration, his experience was too easy), the seemingly endless luck carlos had getting where he needed to go. I'm not saying this film is bad, because I really enjoyed it, but if you're looking for an accurate potrayal the situation that is presented in this movie, you should look for something else.
10. I Am An American Dat Loves Mexicans Till Da Dayy I Die - I Feel Bad Da Mexicansz Dat Have ToO Live Lik Dat Nd I Felt Really Bad Da Boyy I Cried the Lilttle boy but People datt Don't Lik Meaxicans Deyy Just Hating Nd NoW I Noe How Mexicans Live There Life Nd Sum Should Change Datt Laww Nd Lett Mexicansz In Da U.S
11. A movie I hold close to my heart. - I watched this movie and I absotlutley fell in love with it. Coming from a family history from Mexico I felt a connection to the film. It was extremley well acted. It did make me cry but it definitley is a movie I hold very close to my heart. I recommend it to anyone who likes a good film.
12. Felicidades Paty!!!!!!! - Una de mis películas favoritas, la música es buena, los actores exelentes, y que mejor la directora de la película mis mas sinceras felicitaciones, me da mucho gusto Patry!!!!!!!! Magnifica Pelicula!!! Veanla y es digna de tenerla en su casa muy recomendable!!!!!!! comprenla!!! Carlos Rubio
13. Fantastic Movie! - First, I'd like to say to all of the people who thought this movie was boring, you're crazy, & you don't need to be mexican/immigrant in order to like this movie! The concept of this movie was great. There is many people who I've known throughout my life who have been in this situation, and its heartbreaking. Throughout the whole movie I cried because it reminded me of how lucky some of us are, and how hard being in those situations can be... I TRULY RECOMMEND THIS MOVIE! it's a big eye-opener.
Release date: 2016-07-25 $14.99
Release date: 1995-05-31 Genre:Drama $14.99
1. La Haine - Incredibly powerful movie from one of most talented french movie makers, Mathieu Kassovitz. Through the story of these friends and their daily life in this difficult environment, the movie paints a very realistic picture of the french suburbs surrounding Paris. Still very much applicable to current days, this movie never gets old, the black & white picture amplifies the strength of the story. Well written, the movie was also the revelation for Vincent Cassel. A must see, a classic of the modern french cinema.
Release date: 1952-10-09 Genre:Drama $14.99
Release date: 2009-03-20 Genre:Drama $14.99
1. This Movie Is A Must - This is hands down my favorite movie of all time. EVER. First of all, i don’t even speak Spanish, haha. There is no language boundaries at all, subtitles, emotions, you learn quick what’s going on I’ve watched it HUNDREDS of times. The emotions, relationships, life struggles.. all so relatable. I really wish more movies hit like this one. Phenomenal
2. Amazing. - Was not sure about this movie at first but decided to rent it based on the reviews. I have to say I am so glad I decided to get it. Such a good and real movie, though the ending is sad and I shed a tear or two!! I would definitely request this movie for anyone and everyone, you will not regret it!
3. Based on true experience - The story is fantastic the director and writer actually went thru the entire experience riding the train to make it more realistic and in regards to the gangs they spoke to members that had gotten out before making it to make it as true to life as possible they really did their research and it truly is a fantastic movie
4. Misleading! - This film is in total subtitles that wasn't readily apparent to me because the review on the left says "English." It's misleading, it is heavy about the life of those seeking to illegally enter the USA. It is realistic and horrible. The reality is overwhelmingly disturbing! This film is not only disturbing, it has terrible acting and if you're ready for that, then rent or own it, but the reviews also listed are misleading. I REGRET renting it and felt it was trash! I did not even bother to finish it because it was just more of the same of horrible people, doing horrible things to children and adults with crime and murder prevalent. So if you like trash then rent it and enjoy.
5. Best. Movie. Ever. - All I can say is best movie ever! It would take days for me to rave on and on about the incredible acting skills of Edgar Flores. So please, do yourself a favor and get this movie. I love it. Still do. I always will. I'm going to frame a picture of the movie cover and hang it above my bed... OMG I LOVE THIS! ;)
6. Acerca Sin Nombre - I still cannot understand why this movie had such an impact on me or why everytime I think of the last scene with Willie I want to cry...But regardless, I am so happy I saw this movie. It was ...amazing. I recommended it to my teacher! I never thought life was like that for hopeful immigrants or for gang members.
7. i love it! - personally i relate to what the movie is about most people say ohh they could've done better on the movie nd stuff but this movie isnt to entertain, its to show people how some ppls lives really are like this every single day. i've lost friends for the same reasons in this movie. im not in anything or rep. anything but i know ppl that do and for me this movie really did a great job at showing what its like how yu lose everything by doin the right thing in yur mind but not in theirs
8. Sin nombre - Es una película muy buena me gusto mucho ojalá y siga abiendo películas de este tipo de historia para nosotros los latinos y para los q' no lo son si esque les gusta ver películas de este tipo de historias mexicanas xq' anque sea un poco triste desirlo pero esta aveses es nuestra realidad.
9. Without a name indeed..., - Can't agree more: Let's be clear from the outset, this is a dark, bleak and violent movie. The episodes in-between the on-screen savagery, consist of a lot of regret, anxiety and a deep, deep sadness. Having said that, I also think that this is one of the most important movies I have seen in quite awhile, buried unfortunately amidst the clutter of beginning-of-the-year garbage releases and the upcoming summer blockbusters. I wish this movie had a much higher profile, in fact I think that this movie should be required viewing in high-schools all across North America, USA and Canada in particular. It should also be seen by all those people who think about immigrants as a pest and as parasites who come to take away their jobs and be a drain on their resources, abusing the social system or whatever. The same people who watch Lou Dobbs and his "one man crusade" to save America from the invading plague of illegals. The minute-men who gleefully think that the wall now separating the US from Mexico is the greatest thing since the pyramids. The same people that after having spewed their vitriol, hatred and bile against immigrants have no problem with Juan mowing their lawn and Consuela looking after their snot-nosed mortally obese children, and Miguel picking-up all the sit they leave in the streets, malls and every other place one can throw garbage in. Maybe, just maybe, watching this movie will at least give them a glimpse into the lives, backgrounds and destinies of these people, who are abused, mistreated and forgotten by almost everybody, people who basically have come to symbolize a type of disposable human garbage, that truly are without a face, an identity and "sin nombre", without name. Perhaps we could all come to understand what it is that drives these waves of humanity to risk it all for even the promise of a better future. Then we could all come to realize that "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" are not exclusively American values, but rather universal values to which all people aspire to. Even amidst all the doom and gloom of the movie there are some sublime moments of beauty, humanity and yes even hope. It was quite hard at times for me to watch this movie, not because of what I saw, but because I can relate to what I saw and be reminded of a time in my life I wish I could forget, but know I can't. It will be part of me until the day I die. I want people to learn and understand instead of being so quick to judge and dismiss the plight of other fellow human beings. WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF THE SITUATION WAS REVERSED?
Release date: 2002-10-24 Genre:Action & Adventure $14.99
Release date: 2014-10-24 Genre:Drama $12.99
1. A smart film making you laugh and think - This is a well-developed and really smart film inspired by some Youtube clips. It has a solid story portrayed in a unique way. It’s funny and also visually atmospheric. But notice if you are not a fan of those European dry humor films, this one could be boring for you.
2. Subtle, powerful, insightful - I understand why the folks who did not get it hated it, this film is certainly not for everyone, but it was an excellent film to my wife and I, who are still discussing it several days after watching it. I wish U.S. indie film makers would be brave enough to make films that aren’t crammed full of second rate dialogue where silence can be oh so much more eloquent. In many ways it reminded me of the film making of Ingmar Bergman, who understood the power of film to peek under the skin of the characters in their most uncomfortable and conflicted moments. A genuinely masterful examination of a comfortable marriage disrupted by a force of nature that challenges the characters in the most primal way. I especially loved how it showed the ripple effect on the secondary couple. Be warned there is no neat wrap up, or take away. You will have to provide that for yourself.
3. Head-Banger drama is real - Swedish film. If you are in the U.S., please disable the captioning feature, as the performances of these actors will allow you to understand what is happening — without being read or translated. This is a major part of what makes this film great in a way that won’t be understood by Hollywood know-it-all’s, but stage production artists will be impressed that these actors pull it off. The second amazing achievement by this film is to be able to place the viewer into the scenes — especially the breakfast scene on the outdoor balcony that faces the mountain and the avalanche so critical to the cerebral aspects of this film. You don’t know what a flaming teapot this becomes until the first “adult” dinner with another couple on the evening following the “avalanche”. It becomes re-inforced after an encounter with another couple on the rd day of the trip, and that encounter provides some incredible tension among the characters, but also with the viewer as well. I described this movie to my wife, and she found all of what I described to be true…quite an emotional thriller for those of us who are married with children.
4. Failure - This is a feeble attempt at creating an atmospheric movie. The acting is strange, they urinate in front of each other and then don't use soap? They get out of their room into the hall in their underwear and ask the janitor for privacy? The father leaves kids alone in the wild to look for the lost wife? Strange movie and utterly boring. They discuss his leaving the avalanche among themselves and with friends for minutes? Avoid losing money and time.
5. Artful - While this may not be funny to some, it's humor is hidden beneath one of the more uncomfortable vacations you will take with this family. You could consider yourself looking in from the perspective of a nanny, and watch the humorous weakness of two adults prodding at each other like children. How the film ends is putty for your hands and like most relationships, there's no one right way about it. As a foreign film, the transgression might seem slow, but it is very artfully strung together with picturesque shots of the Alps (He knows how to capture their beauty), and deep droning noises that may make you feel as uncomfortable as The Shining did, but with more tact.
6. Good Movie -- Far above most others - My wife and I enjoyed this movie very much. It takes a very real situation that we can all relate to, exploring the human psyche and how it deals with exigent circumstances, survival, cowardice, fear, shame, denial, guilt. The cinematography is very good, with many slow, deliberate shots. The acting is superb, and the characters are perfect in their roles. Even the small children are excellent. The subject matter manages to be mature, thought-provoking, serious, funny, and very interesting -- all at once. The film lasts more than two hours but seems to end very quickly as it is very enjoyable. We will watch it again.
7. Silly American Critics - do not believe the critics on this one. Gets WAY too much credit for not being in english. Another example of the "top" critics giving points strictly for being a foreign language film. GREAT premise, great actors, slow and extremely dull script. Comes across as a B film project by a B student at an mediocre film school.
8. Fight or flight movie - I thought this movie was a well acted representation of normal people in a normal relationship who experienced a traumatic event. The movie is set at a ski resort in France where the family is on holidays. One day the family is enjoying a meal when an avalanche rolls down a mountain towards them. In a split second the parents make two very different decisions that will change their relationship forever. The actions of the father are portrayed in a non-judgmental light as are the actions of the wife who in her search for an explanation, forces her husband to relive the event over and over again in front of friends and acquaintances. The family is forced to consider their ongoing roles in the family and to make difficult, confronting decisions. The movie was very well acted and the story is completely believable.
9. Regrettably disappointing - A disappointing film and regrettably my advice would be to give force majeure a miss - it's an interesting premiss and good acting but it never really gets anywhere and the reviewers that imply that this film is in any way "funny" need their head examining - funny it most certainly is not.
Release date: 2022-10-21 Genre:Independent $6.99
Release date: 2002-03-15 $12.99
Release date: 2004-09-24 Genre:Drama $14.99
1. A good movie - This is an important, if incomplete, movie, particularly for Latinos (including those like me who were raised in the US). The movie should inspire us to unite and find the best in ourselves. This was the best in el Che Guevara. This is not to say he was perfect or that all that he did was good. There's plenty of fault that can be found about el Che. (But that same criticism could be leveled times over about George Washington, Thomas Jefferson or half a hundred American heros.) He loved and fought for the Latin American people. And in the end, he died for the Latin American people (even those who disagreed with him).
2. Beautiful production. Hard political message. - Here’s the bottom line on this film: The production is wonderful. The acting, photography, score, screenplay, sound are all first rate, but the politics are polarizing. You know what you’re getting into here, so if you can suspend personal opinion long enough to absorb the graceful humanism of it all, you’ll like this movie.
3. Leftist Propaganda. - "Che Guevara was a real nice guy." That's the basic message of this film. If it wasn't such a bore I might have enjoyed it, but this movie has an agenda to change minds on a person who truly may have been a nice guy, but in this film he's the messiah. This is probably the sort of film that the left thinks is good due to the message alone; forget the lousy story. The acting was good, though.
4. good movie - It was a good movie but the error was in trying to make Che look like a saint when he was just a man. The friend was given the role as the womanizer when t it was really Che who was the womanizer. I wish that had been more accurate. That truth would not have diminish the things that he tried to do in uniting Latin America. The fact is that dispite growing up in great wealth and comfort, his heart and deeds were with the poor.
Release date: 2019-12-25 Genre:Action & Adventure $7.99
1. shows damage of hate - …portrayal of feeble minded characters in this last movie are like a poke in the eye ; this plot does show how effective propaganda is used to make hate that destroys the trust in community. ip man confronts racism with sacrifice of himself, and by doing so shows how its necessary to confront fascist ideas directly and not permit them to fester amoung us. it is the simple, feeble minded characters that make this point clear and likely offensive to some. ….i like the movie. but the protagonists in this one are especially hateful kind of like listening to opinions of fauxNews anchors
2. Chinese Communist propaganda on high... - Wow take the most woke American made film or TV show. This makes it seem centrist by comparison. Stupid story too. Kid is a trouble maker. Send him to the USA. Thanks. Of course by the end there is no place like home. Acting ranges from serious for the Chinese to corny goofs for anyone else. Making it feel very uneven. Fight scenes are good. Visuals can be pleasant. Just too much agenda to wade through.
3. Still great - The fighting is still amazing and the story bittersweet. The characters are cartoonishly over the top. The racist sergeant, the evil rich white guy and his hysterical Karen wife, and the spoiled cheerleader are so over the top it’s almost funny. Still I enjoyed the film but it does have a noticeable anti white undertone which is honestly, at least historically, somewhat deserved. It’s a shame to think that this kind of portrayal is what regular Chinese people might think about me as an American. Still I love Donnie Yen and the film is entertaining and has a decent message about the importance of family and community even if I was uncomfortable with the portrayal of the antagonists.
4. Entertaining Escapist Martial Arts - I was expecting a moderately entertaining action film, however this one holds together quite well with excellent acting, a lightweight but fun story line, and enough eye-candy martial arts to keep it upbeat and fun. It’s well balanced with a complex plot with several subplots interspersed with skillful action sequences that don’t go on too long, like in some other movies. I don’t have much experience watching martial arts films, but this I found to be good entertaining escapism, obviously not to be taken seriously.
5. DISAPPOINTMENT - The martial arts in this film is good, but it pales to insignificance. This is % a propaganda piece that is entirely unsuitable for any young minds. You’re crazy if you let your year old child watch this, unless of course you’re living in China and want him to hate America and Americans.
6. Good old-fashion butt whuppin - I liked the move. I've seen all the Ip Man movies a couple of times. The fight choreography is great and the story is once again solid. Most people living today don't have a personal context to the immigrant experience in the US. As far as this movie, many haven't understood the impact of WWII, the Korean and then the Vietnam Wars on the American psyche. Fighting wars against the "yellow man" meant that all Asians were treated as enemies to be defeated and, if nothing else, mistreated. This movie's back drop portrays that experience. While the story sets a reflection that is at odds with the ideals we believe America was, it isn't preachy. It just doesn't shy away from cost of the American dream either. In telling the story of a hero, IP man succeeds in making the world better for those around him and those that have come after him.
7. Doh... - Huge Donnie Yen fan...the first Ip man was amazing a true classic ...the second one was ok...the third was just not good ...this one was horrendous... I get it he is older but...it’s just not a good movie Donnie Yen clearly was the only one Who cared and is the only shining light in this movie everyone else was just bad and campy...
8. Vitriolic and distorted anti US propaganda - I am not some sort of ultraconservative extremist, just a regular guy. But even though previous Ip Man films made a big deal of demonizing foreigners, Ip Man is so extreme that I have never seen a movie that presents such a distorted version of reality. In this film Americans - both adults and teenagers - a wildly prejudiced against the Chinese. There is a hugely corrupt government agency working with a hugely corrupt military involved in such things as taking a Chinese civilian so a Marine sergeant can beat him half to death on a military base in full view of an entire company of recruits and have it recorded on film. And this is followed by bragging that the US is superior in all things and that Chinese are "an inferior race". A half-dozen high school boys beat up a chinese girl? I don't want to go on. This film is clearly designed as propaganda intended to be shown to millions of Chinese in order to provide a false picture of Americans and to make the Chinese people hate Americans. It is one gigantic lie after another. Over recent years China has ramped up its expansionism - far beyond what any American is aware of. A huge part of this is international loan sharking that has forced a huge number of developing nations to hand over its infrastructure to China (roads and railwys in Uganda, Kenya and Zambia, the Philippines entire power grid, and much more). It represents a massive takeover. And there are many other things. This film is part of the package designed to fuel Chinese aggression. There has only been one other film that I have deleted and hidden in iTunes - and I have over , iTunes movies in my library. Ip Man is the seond one. Again, I am not a right wing fanatic. I am as moderate as they come and definitely not a fan of Fox, but this film is so offensive that I am astonished that the average iTunes and RT commenters think it's great.
9. Horrible disappointment - I bought this because I really enjoyed the first movies in this series. But this th installment is a huge disappointment. First there's the "false advertising" trailers/ads that imply there will be a fight between Ip Man and Bruce Lee. There is not. The Bruce Lee character has only a minor, cameo role with one fight scene largely cribbed from prior Bruce Lee films. Second, although the story is primarily in San Francisco and several characters speak English, the large majority of the film has characters speaking Chinese so you have to read the closed captioning if you don't speak that language. Finally, and most importantly, the characters are unidimensional unrealistic white and black hats with no character development beyond setting up unrealistic fight scenes (compared to the more realistic ones in the first movies, IMHO.) A real waste of money. Wish I hadn't bought it. Wish I hadn't bothered to watch it.
10. Great Movie - I’m seeing a lot of people reviewing this movie that have paper-thin skin. Fact of the matter is this movie portrayed sentiments that were expressed around the period in which the movie takes place and are still expressed today. I understand some of you have a hard to coming to grips with the racist history of American culture, but it’s there and will always be there. Sooner you accept that, the better you can enjoy this movie and others.
11. Thanks - I was going to wait to buy this on physical media but then I saw all the snowflakes complaining about how whites were often very xenophobic against asians in that time period and are portrayed that way in this film. Still are to a degree. Quick, name a bunch of movies where you actually see an Asian man kiss a white woman. Yeah that’s what I thought. So now just because so many cry babies can’t face up to mistakes of the past so they won’t be repeated in the future I’m buying this right now. And I’ll still buy the physical copy later. And maybe some for friends.
12. Racist-Shmacist: Get real - For those reviewers who called the movie “racist” and “white-bashing,” you need to learn some actual, factual American history. The only “real” Americans are the ones who met Columbus, et al when they came ashore. Deal with it! The movie is a fitting conclusion to the Ip Man saga in every way. It faithfully presents other perspectives on the Chinese, the development of Wing Chun, and Ip’s relationship with his son. The style and level of drama - as well as great martial arts choreography – are true-to-form, excellent…IMO.
13. Worst of all Donnie Yen movie - The movie is so bad I don’t even know where to begin. It wasn’t just the worst of the Ip Man series, it’s worst out of all of Donnie Yen’s movies. I loved Donnie Yen and I have loved the Ip Man series thus far but this is so bad I think I have to re-evaluate my life choices. It is so racist that I’m embarrassed at how this story portrayed the Asian vs white culture. I feel that it’s so racist the screen writer, director, and pretty much anyone involved in the project must be racist just to have worked on this. Donnie Yen, what happened to you? This is an action/martial arts movie. Bringing in society’s problem is not going to make a better action movie. You know what does make it better? ACTION!!
14. Critics love this because ... - While I love marital arts, I do not believe this movie is a fair representaion of all the people in America. The fact that China thinks we are all racists is proof that they should probably look at themselves first before throwing shade on us. Although they will not due to the fact it is a communist regime that controls them and the media. I gave it stars because Donnie Yen is in it and the coreography was pretty good. Otherwise, another hit piece on the US.
15. CCP Propaganda - While all of the Ip Man films have some ethnocentric propaganda elements, this last one is over the top ... it just becomes offensive. The film simply hammers the theme of how racist, hateful and brutish Americans are over, and over and over. The portrayal of the USMC is particularly disturbing, offensive and ridiculous.
16. Propaganda movie - It is very decently filmed Chinese propaganda movie. China tries to move attention away from horrible crimes against their own people, protests in Hong Kong, Uygur concentration camps and complete censure in internet and TV. So they film series of movies where they portrait people from UK or US to be same as Japan occupation force... Cheap. Film wise - I liked music and choreography, but it is close to cartoon, how no man in China except Ip can fight. They all are always soundly defeated. Why? What is the point of this humiliation?
17. Accurate Portrayal of Chinese treatment in that era - It’s the IP Man we all know and love; unfortunately people like to try to ignore exactly how horribly the Chinese and other ethnicities were/are treated in America. If your only complaint about the movie is because your feelings were hurt but honesty, I suggest doing research about America’s history.
18. Not at all like the other - I could not wait for Ip. I could not be more disappointed. It’s a completely different type of film; almost campy, B type movie feel. In every other movie as he goes to fight I had the feeling of “oh boy! You’re gonna get it now!” In it just felt like “please don’t hurt him”. It was actually sad to watch him fight vs exciting. I’m sorry to say that I think Rocky V was better than this.
19. Chinese propaganda - Translation: White men bad China men good. Anti history, anti white, anti American, anti Marines, anti acting, anti fight scenes, anti cinematography. Writen by emperor Xi of the communist party, produced by the democratic party and directed by Nancy Pelosi. I wanted to give it a minus star but not possible give me my $ back! & get China out of movies.
Release date: 2007-02-09 $12.99
1. A brilliant fictional story within a real event. - I watched this film in college in my German class as part of a study. When I first saw it, I thought it was slow moving during the first act, but once the team began setting up surveillance was when it really started to drag me in. That's when I knew I had to watch it again, let alone pick up my own copy. Very enthralling, intense, well acted, and very well directed for first time director Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck. Highly recommended for any German aficionados out there. Very well deserving of the Best Foreign Language Oscar, should have received a nomination for Best Original Screenplay, at least in my opinion.
2. Sonata for a good man - This was a touching, exquisite movie. The only reason you shouldn't rent it or buy it is because they sometimes show it on HBO, but otherwise totally worth it. The plot and aspects of how they interrogated people are just interesting and truly incredible. And the change you see in the main character is portrayed so perfectly. It is so genuine, humble and simply enticing. My only complaint is that I think it should've been titled Sonata for a good man.
3. The Lives of Others - This is a superb and thought provoking movie. I highly recommend it. It examines what it is to be a good man (or woman) in a society that rewards villainy. Whether the society of East Germany behind the iron curtain is accurately portrayed or not is immaterial. This is fiction. Both heroes and villains are undoubtedly exaggerated as in most fiction. The message is not harmed by that dramatic artifice.
4. Sprechen Sie Englisch? - How can this dubbed iTunes version have such a high rating? Are all these these reviews based on this dubbed version or what they watched in the theater? If so, it doesn't serve as a truthful reflection of the film since dubbing removes much of the movies tone and human semblance (another person, not the actor in the film, speaking in a different language?). If this movie had been released dubbed no one would have seen it, let alone enjoyed it. Do yourself a favor and get the Blu-ray. You'll be glad you did. Don't support these dubbed foreign films on iTunes. It's xenophobic.
5. Captivating - Like the title suggests, this movie has a surreal vicarious quality to it, mostly because we are viewing the events from the surveillance guy's perspective. I saw this film upon the recommendation of my professor, and it made me feel lucky to live in a country that allows so much freedom of speech. However, this movie is kind of a downer and should be watched in one sitting. I bought the movie, but won't watch it repeatedly within the same month because it is a really serious film.
6. An Unappreciated Film, Soon to Become a Classic - This movie unwinds like a novel, weaving rich characters through relevant and deeply moving story. The beautiful acting is unparred; the plot is uncommonly rewarding. Do yourself a favor, and see this movie. If you have any appreciation for good film, you won't regret it for an instant.
7. Well done, highly recommended: - A very powerful story, superb acting. Highly recommended for those who consider themselves serious movie goers. I am certain that the movie would have been rated all stars if it was in English, subtitles are an annoyance, but does not degrade the artistic qualities of the movie.
8. This is an excellent movie! - It is suspensful and captures the realities of East German paranoia during the DDR times. At the same time, it carries an undercurrent of hope and positivity that is uplifting and moving. Highly recommended! P.S.: Whoever the first person was to rate this movie ( star) obviously knows neither German nor how to read and thus probably did not get the point of this sub-titled movie. Probably asked his/her mother to type up the review, too. Go play outside and leave the adults alone.
9. Excellent film - This is the third time I've watched this film, and it only gets better each time. Ulrich Muhe gives a fantastic - and extremely understated - performance (it's a crying shame he died so young), as well as the rest of the cast. The film is beautifully shot, tense, and ultimately very powerful; don't let a bias against foreign films stop you from seeing it. It's honestly one of the best films I've ever seen and fully deserved its Oscar win.
10. YAY!!! First Review! - This movie is truly exceptional. Unfortunately, there are just some people who do not appreciate the excellence of foreign movies and they are considered underrated. I highly reccomend it for a good thrill as it provides a heap of suspense! Also, catch on to some German as well :D
11. An Excellent Movie! - This is an excellent piece of movie art from Germany. Is is an undoubtful witness of the story not only of the East German state surveillance and security organisation, the so-called "Stasi", but of the dangers of total surveillance in general and the possibilities of every single man and woman to do something against it. It is at least a wonderful movie about the truth and honesty within in everyone of us and the anxiousness about such a system which existed by ! And it stands nowadays as a warning of the obvious mistakes of reintroducing surveillance methods in the western world because of getting more alleged security. Great actors and a great story, go rent or buy it! And uh, yeah, they got an Oscar for it!
12. Incredible Film! - I am a college student and I first saw this film when it came to my campus for a special screening of recently acclaimed international films, and as soon as I saw it, it became one of my favorite films of all time. The emotional depth of each of the characters and the evolution of its main character continually astonish me and give me some hope about the fate of humankind in the times we are currently faced with. Highly recommended!
Release date: 2021-11-24 Genre:Drama $14.99
1. Hauntingly beautiful - I love this movie for many reasons; but I have to say, the main reason is because Japan let’s us catch a glimpse into their mysterious culture of the present. We just don’t know enough about contemporary Japan, they keep everything so close to their vest. Im forever fascinated whenever I get to have a look inside their lives, architecture, food, social mannerisms. It’s probably why I love studio ghibli movies so much as well. A Japanese actor who loves a red SAAB, is just one of the many surprises in this movie. It’s so touching.
2. Baby, I Love You - This movie touched me deeper than any other movie I have seen in my years. I’ve read some of Murakami’s work and enjoyed it but never to the level I appreciated this film. I found myself emotional and crying at moments that were simultaneously beautiful and tragic. I can’t imagine ever being so moved by a piece of art again.
Release date: 2013-10-25 Genre:Drama $12.99
1. Great love story with emotional depth - One of the best love films I’ve seen. It has an emotional theme that stays with you once the movie is over. The best thing about the movie is not the love scenes or the length of the film. It was the emotional bond these actors took on. Never seen so much crying and depression by the main character. I’m glad I bought the film and can’t wait to see the sequel.
2. What took me so long to watch this ???? - OMG ! What a incredible movie! I turned it on by accident on Netflix in my sleep! Yeah right no one belives that one but I started watching it and loved it so much i bought it on Itunes !! It brought me to my knees and couldn't sleep for days thinking of how awesomely passionate this love affair was in the story. Now I am buying the book. i really need more movies like this DANG !
3. Love it - I loved the movie, I'm lesbian myself and seeing this film was heart warming and heart breaking. All of my mixed emotions are towards this movie. If you don't like pornography you can skip a part, if you don't mind it your fine. This film was a bit heart breaking to so be prepared for an emotional roller coaster!!!
4. Running time was long, but worthy - The nearly hour running time will be daunting for some, but this allowed for a much more natural flow of time passage. I cannot say enough positive things about this film: the direction, casting choices (fantastic contrast between characters and acting styles), and of course the screenplay. This film is a testament to keeping one's heart open.
5. A very moving movie - Thank you itunes for making this $.... i bought it... what a great movie, so moving so powerful. The first time i watched it, i didnt realise that Lea the blue hair girl teared when they met up in the cafe, so i thought that the breakup didnt affect her as much. When i watched it a second time, i realised she was actually in as much pain as Adele and she was trying hard to hide her tear and she did teared. Shakespeare told us many years ago that, the course of true love never did run smooth, it could be your name, different class, different whatever. Hundreds of years later, it still is relevant.
6. Blue is the Warmest Color - I was totally mesmerized by this movie... I don't understand french so I followed the story through the subtitles in english... The movie represents an amazing love story in which the actresses blew my mind with their extra ordinary performances and facial expressions with lots of emotions to be interpreted from. Something not really seen before. Blue is the warmest color earned the title of my Nr. Movies I love! I recommended the movie to all my friends.
7. Terrific movie! - I actually bought the movie for the erotic flavor discussed in the reviews, but after watching it I was drawn more to the relationship, joy, happiness, and hurt that comes from love betrayed as portrayed by these two actresses. The acting very strong and intense and more importantly “honest”. Great drama! The ending left me numb in way that it portrayed life’s realities of acceptance and moving on as lonely as it may be. Great Show!
8. Best movie of the year! - This is the best film (not the best "foreign" film) I've seen all year. Probably in a couple of years. The acting is superior to anything I've seen in this genre before. It is easily the most heartbreaking love story I've ever seen. Then, to top it all off, it has some of the sexiest scenes in all of film. Straight, gay, bye, it doesn't matter. This movie is hot!
9. One of the best movies I've ever seen - I wasn't expecting much, but I picked it because it was tops at Cannes. It's an incredible story about Adele's torment, yet ultimate acceptance of her sexual feelings. She's an incredible actress and I felt so connected with her character during her heartbreak. Frankly, the sex scenes weren't necessary for the power in the film, but I will say they added to the intensity of the character relationships. It's more than just a love story, but less than an attempt to push "the LGBT agenda." This movie does a great job in helping the viewer understand a young person's personal torments in coming to terms with who they are and struggling to discover how to find personal and external acceptance. Even in the end, there's no clear answer to Adele's sexuality, but she has become a strong woman who has grown stronger because of her choices to be curios about herself. Powerful film.
10. Best film of my life - This movie is the most intelligently written, directed, and acted movie I have seen in years of my life. It is groundbreaking. It covers so many philosophical, artistic, and social issues as to be mesmorizing. Do not rent it, BUY it. Congratulations to the entire production company, director, and artists (they are far more than actresses and actors) who brought this beautiful, poignant, gifted movie to the screen. This is not a LGBT movie, this is a movie that is nothing short of a masterpiece for the ages and for EVERYONE.
11. hmmm good. - it wasn’t great coudve been better. i would’ve liked to see some music portrayed in the movie during some scenes .. however the sensual intimate parts were very touching to of course to human nature and the way it was portrayed. simple story there was not really much turns it was rather vague but i enjoyed.
12. raw, real and overdone - This movie is a hour portrait of one young woman’s first love and heartbreak. We go from the typical sex obsessed year old checking out boys butt in the school cafe to her first time having sex and realizing something isn’t totally there. She spies an unusual young woman walking down the street one day and then later when she wanders into a gay bar. A romance starts. Goes great for a while, goes to hell. Lots of crying etc. Then time goes on. Very basic story that we all pretty much go through whether gay, straight or something in between. The acting is very basic and real. The camera work is very tight and close and appropriate. The story could have used a better sense of how much time was going by but whatever. What doesn’t really work is the sex. Or rather the length of it. The number of scenes wasn’t so bad, nor was the openness of literally showing it, but really did every one of them have to be a ten plus porno of multiple orgasms. Not in my book. I got the idea the first time every time. I didn’t need six more in each and every scene to get the point. A good half hour could have been trimmed off right there.
13. The Best of - Adele Exarchopoulos not being nominated for every award and not winning every award is hard to believe didn’t happen. Blue is the Warmest Color on all levels is a cinema revelation. It's raw, unafraid, human, a work of art, and very very special; in a league of its own. Soon all films of will be unmemorable, vague (“Who won best actress?” “I don’t remember…”) while Blue is the Warmest Color will be remembered as a great film of all time.
14. excellent - Some of the greatest preformances Ive ever seen, This film is amazing. I dont mind nudity or sex scenes when it is pertenant to the story and I think the sex scenes in this film were definately necessary however, I do think the same result could have been achieved without some of the more explicit shots, they still could have shown the same level of intensity without compromising these two phenomenal actress's quite so much.
15. Great movie interpretation - While not told in the same way as the graphic novel, it doesn’t stray much from the intent. My biggest disappointment was discovering that it’s only half the story but it’s also my biggest expectation now waiting for the second half.
The graphic love scenes actually seemed to accurately translate the scenes from the book giving the viewer the same feelings the were evoked by reading and viewing the wonderful art work in the novel.
16. Beautiful although heartbreaking - The emotions I received through the movie was so real, so intense. It was hard to watch this movie, yet you found it irresistible and impossible to forget. Adele was so powerful. I wanted to hold her during her heartbreaks. I couldn’t help but felt her sadness and vulnerabilities as if it was happening right in front of me. A part of me wish I didn’t watch the movie as it left me with great sadness. And having read the original graphic novel now, feel that the director has taken the story and ripped its core. The original novel was a truly beautiful love story. In the movie, however, he made it depressing, too much explicit sex and extremely sad. Emma, as in the novel was truly loving and giving. In the movie, however, the director has made her into a manipulative, uncaring and selfish character and Adele a complete victim. Not sure I appreciate that of the director. Seems like he did it perhaps to make a name for himself.
17. Beautiful, Passionate and Vulnerable. - This is a very nicely done film about young love, self discovery, sexuality and vulnerability. It’s honest and real and it deserves higher marks than it has for being candid and unashamed about it’s subject matter. The sex is (not that) explicit (it’s not a soft porn flick) but it’s honest and very real and I don’t think the average person would feel uncomfortable watching it. You don’t feel like a voyeur. You feel like you’re witnessing real passion and desire between two loving and consenting adults. And what’s wrong with that? Isn’t that what we all want anyway? Haters and homophobes need not watch this film. You already know what it’s about and it will only make you feel uncomfortable. It could even stir up some really ugly feelings inside you. Unless of course, you feel the urge to evolve.
18. One of best films of the Millenium - The most raw, honest and breathtaking performances ever filmed. Sexy, smart and courageous. Some idiot named "Jim the Reviewer" said it pushed Hollywood's LGBT agenda - it's a French film Jim - that's no where near Hollywood you idiot - maybe you should have watched it
19. AMAZING - One of the best movies of . Actresses, Adele and Lea give the most raw and powerful performances that you will see. Neither one holds back, making Blue a must see. Don't miss it. Respect is deserved because of those performance. Their performance is something for the history books and the type of performance you see once in a decade.
Release date: 2009-01-01 Genre:Comedy $12.99
1. Trying too hard Veep copy - The filmmakers think that the more swear words from men in suits are deployed in short intervals the funnier. Not so! The film cruises all over the shop and you can see, down to the same characters, how the author has borrowed heavily from the much more coherent and authentic Veep series. Also, we know, ever since Ben Elton used similes and colorful language in the now classic Blackadder Series to great effect, that such use should be applied sparingly in the right places. This script has no filter and so the overuse of all the swearing and contrived witticisms are leaving the viewer exhausted after less than minutes. And despite great actors this film is a good example where the end result is actually smaller than the sum of all the individual parts. Watch other films where each of the actors actually shine because the script, the story and pace allow them to do so. This film is like eating Cadbury cream eggs in an hour. And unlike Cool Hand Luke the viewer actually does throw up in the end. All a bit too much.
2. Save your time and money - WHen the critics agree it is either a great sign or the worst. This is a worst case scenario where a movie is given the thumbs up simply because it reinforces their political views. It is not funny, it is not thought provoking, and it fails to hold your attention except when you dose off and one voice causes you to dream you are watching the Sopranos. Save your money and watch...I don't know, anything that the paid critics hate.
3. Roller coaster ride of cursing, laughing and Brit wit! - This film is not for anyone who can't appreciate the use of foul language to move a story along. That being said, the humour is definitely British and dry, but as we progress into the story, we have our eyes opened to the world of US military thinking and fact finding. You can't take this film too seriously, but it is so written so well and at an excellent pace that when it's over, you want to watch it again immediately to see what dialogue you missed while your were laughing. All of the cast is fantastic, even the smaller roles are well performed and seem to work well off of each other. The dialogue is so wildly sarcastic and bombastic that it's hard to be taken too seriously and yet, when you think about it you might even believe that this does in fact go on today. It's not the most flattering portrayal of the British or the American Government circles, but it is great fun. Sit back, have some beers and laugh out loud! It's good therapy!
4. A new comedy classic!! Peter Capaldi was snubbed out of his Oscar nomination big time.. - "In The Loop" was bar none, the funniest movie of , as well as shocking perceptive of under-the-table political hand-wringing in Western countries. The entire cast of British and American actors is first rate, but Peter Capaldi walks away with the film as the bullying and hilariously blunt communications honcho Malcolm Tucker. Capaldi accomplishes the impossible in taking a character that should be hated (and is, at first) and somehow makes him sympathetic and even a little relatable towards the end of the film. He also has the single most unforgettably hilarious verbal abuse spewed by anyone since Sgt. Hartman from "Full Metal Jacket." The screenplay is absolutely brilliant, allowing every member of the cast, right down to the extras, to shine bright with wit and verve thanks to the peerlessly funny dialogue that never lets up. Don't wait another minute...BUY THIS COMEDY MASTERPIECE!!
Release date: 2013-05-21 Genre:Thriller $4.99